Not doing well with proteins...or water

Bekahre7
on 1/5/13 10:28 am

I'm about a month out and I'm having a really hard time getting my water and protein in daily.  I absolutely cannot stomach any more protein shakes (anyone have any alternative suggestions?).  And my surgeon actually recommends a minimum of 48 oz of water per day...and I BARELY get that in (sometimes I don't).  I know this swelling won't go down for a while, but in the meantime I'd almost rather eat nothing at all and try to get my water in -- just to avoid that sh*tty feeling in my throat and stomach.  :(  I see my bariatric nurse and the NUT on Monday, so I should be able to get some good feedback/suggestions from them. However, want to see what experiences and advice you guys might have.  Thanks!

JAlston
on 1/5/13 10:36 am
VSG on 12/07/12

My surgeon also recommends 48oz minimum as well. I am 4 weeks out as well, however I am not struggling getting my fluids/proteins in. Are you just having a hard time drinking? Or is it because it is such a chore now, because believe me...that I understand (I literally put reminders on my phone to make sure I drink/eat because or else I wont).

Have you tried G2, propel zero or other ways to flavor your water? I drink Unjury chicken soup (21 grams of protein for 8oz) so that counts towards both my goals. 

Have you already tried Isopure protein drinks? Those are clear, more fruity. They sell them in singles at Vitamin Shoppe and GNC so you can try them without buying the whole case. Some people love them, I loved about half of one and couldn't stomach the rest but they are high in protein. 

Good luck hun, you gotta try something and switch it up. Fluids and proteins are so important, I know you know that but I would hate to see you get dehydrated! It can happen so quickly after WLS.

Jessica  

(HW: 305)  (SW: 271.9) (33.1 lbs lost prior to surgery) (MsJexi on MFP)

Bekahre7
on 1/5/13 10:44 am

Thanks for responding.  Yes, I have a little bit of a hard time drinking because I can only sip...which makes it chore...which frustrates me.  I should just set a timer on my phone like you do.

I have had G2, Propel, Crystal Light... I've become really sick of the sweet flavors.  And broth is disgusting to me.  I know...I'm being difficult.

I've also tried Isopure and only like one flavor (the Apple Melon). They have a really weird aftertaste, but they are a good source of protein.  Again, it's just so much work to get them down.

I want to do this right and get everything in, but the feeling of being sick is worse than not eating sometimes...and it discourages me from doing the right thing.  I know I should just suck it up, but....

JAlston
on 1/5/13 10:50 am
VSG on 12/07/12

I am not sure if they are allowed on your plan but I have read about protein shots on here, kinda like 5 hour energy shots. So a lot less to drink. That way you would get your protein but still have to find something that you like to drink. I felt the same way about the Isopure. I stopped having restriction with liquids around 2 weeks, so it will happen. 

I understand getting sick of stuff. I mean I drank all this stuff prior to surgery with no problem but it is a chore now because we have to drink it so slowly...always drinking. I try to switch it up as I can. Decaf tea/coffee (with SF creamer), Unjury chicken soup, unjury chocolate with soy milk or almond milk, I have like 7 differen****er flavor mixes as well. I hear ya but...

JUST DO IT ALREADY! kiss

Jessica  

loulou1969
on 1/5/13 10:46 am

I also have to do reminders on my phone every hour.

LouLou

loulou1969
on 1/5/13 10:45 am

I am six weeks out and having the same problem only I have already went to blended.  My doc wants 60-80 grams of protein and 64-100 oz of water a day.... 64 being the absolute minimum.  The water has been since day one of surgery.  I finally got to where I could do the protein shakes and min water right before going to blended and now I am right back to the same problem.  The nurse said not to skimp on water even if I don't get the protein.  Low protein can be dealt with, dehydration is very dangerous.  It is hard to do both.  I am in pain by the time I get them both in..on the rare occasion I get them both in. 

LouLou

Bekahre7
on 1/5/13 10:49 am

I can only imagine the pain with having to get 64 oz of water in, plus protein! I'm on purees, too, and don't get those in at all.  I've had pureed chili twice and almost vomited. It's a challenge to focus on what you're eating and drinking so often throughout the day.  Ugh!

Crabadams72
on 1/5/13 11:19 am - Silver Spring, MD
I am normally a very nice happy camper but I have had a few f$&"! Up days lately, sooooooooo. I am going to say this as a vet (self proclaimed), since I joined OH 11/2010, had VSG 6/2011 and today sit 20 pounds below goal with no complications post op.

At 1 month out I was not at 64oz a day but close. I sipped, sipped, sipped until I got there. I have a 32 oz bottle I constantly drink out of. I now get 2-3 of them down a day.

I look at these guidelines as things I do to stay alive, they are not opitonal. Protein is vital for the muscles-and the heart is a muscle. A protein deficiency isn't something to take lightly and it's difficult to correct them. I eat enough protein and still drink a shake and my labs are on the low side and I have to suck it up and stay on shakes. No I don't like them BUT 80 percent of our guts are gone. We have to now take vitamins, drink water and get protein in.

Those that hit and exceed the protein goals have better losses. I have seen it time and time again on this site.

If the shakes make you vomit then eat some Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, tuna, turkey, shrimp, cheese --etc. you have made a new commitment to yourself so do what you gotta do to stay alive.
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

JAlston
on 1/5/13 10:54 am
VSG on 12/07/12

Ladies- Do you count your protein shakes toward your liquid goals or no? My surgeon has me count all liquids as liquids, not separately. For instance, I drink 3 protein shakes a day that are 8 oz each and 21 grams of protein. Just those 3 shakes get me to my 60 gram protein goal and 24 oz towards liquids. Maybe your plans are different. 

I am sorry you are having a hard time with it. I hope you it gets better for you both!

Jessica  

Bekahre7
on 1/5/13 11:06 am

Yes, my protein shakes count as a liquid.  I just can't do them anymore.  They are disgusting to me!  So sick of chocolate and vanilla.  However, I'm working with a friend who sells Herbalife supplements...and they have a ton of recipes for shakes, so I may try those out.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views