anyone have a good Pickling recipes (without salt or sugar)

Michael L.
on 1/6/13 12:40 pm - Fall River, MA
I'd love to pickle some peppers, onions and Cukes,
All the recipes i find require canning jars and lots of sugar and salt.

There has to be a healthy way.

Frisco? Elina? any other talented culinary people?

hw 500  sw 462  cw 383     

sevencats
on 1/6/13 3:26 pm

Hi Michael.I'm not quite sure from your question if you're looking to pickle the veges for preservation, or just to have that "pickled" flavor.  The main thing needed for pickling is vinegar; sugar and salt probably have some effect on the texture of what you pickle, but are primarily added for flavor.  This video shows a process for no salt/no sugar canning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_23IiOI1Fmw

Obviously, this is for preservation canning and requires canning jars. 

If you're just looking to impart a pickled flavor to the veggies, this is Fran McCullough's recipe for pickled onions to serve with carnitas; 

2 red onions, thinly sliced; 1/4 cup mild vinegar; 1 bay leaf; several peppercorns; 1/2 teaspoon oregano.  Directions:  Place onion rings in colander in sink.  Boil a kettle of water and pour over onions.  Place onions in glass bowl and add cold water to cover.  Add remaining ingredients and stir gently to mix.  Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

If you want more a sweet and sour fresh pickle, add some sweetener to the vinegar mix.

Just as a note:  the water bath kind of canning that is shown in the video is easy, and is appropriate only for stuff with a high acid content.  If you choose to do some preservation canning, the best resource is your state extension office. 

tripmom02
on 1/7/13 2:30 am - NJ

I have tried it all to cut back the salt and sugar, just does not work out, the taste is never right (and if you are canning for preservation then the ratio can be off and cause the food to be unsafe). I still eat them, but I do it in moderation and with lots of fluids to cut the effects of the sodium.

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views