What was your post op experience with PCOS

D. Scott
on 1/12/13 6:04 am
RNY with

So I recognize that my weight loss is probably slower due to having PCOS, I have learned to live with that. However I seem to also be having major hormone fluctuations lately and I am wondering if instead of my symptoms getting better as I begin to lose if I am having a temporary spike. I have been breaking out in acne, more hair on my face, haven't had a period since July, my blood sugar is still fluctuating in weird ways (even though I am eating super low carb) etc. So how much weight did you lose before you noticed some of your symptoms lightening up? If you had irregular periods how long did it take before you noticed more regularity? Did your weight loss pick up after these symptoms started to level out?

Thanks

Sarah

Sleeve Revision from Lap-band November 23, 2012

Starting Weight: 236 Lowest Weight w/ Lap-Band: 160 Current Weight: 190

Goal Weight: 150...40lbs to go

lucy2e
on 1/12/13 6:17 am - Laurel, MD

I dont have PCOS - so I'm no help.  But I do want to reach you with support.  My daughter has PCOS so I know what a challenge it can be.  Stay strong!

The post op hormones can be crazy for those of us without PCOS - so I bet they are super crazy for you guys!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

D. Scott
on 1/12/13 6:42 am
RNY with

Thank You!!!

gorditabonita
on 1/12/13 7:00 am - Springfield, VA
VSG on 01/23/13 with

I have not had my revision yet, but I just wanted to give you a bit of encouragement. I have PCOS too. Weight loss is always a challenge for us, but it can be done - slowly but surely. You are doing great...after all, who wins the race - the tortoise or the hare? 

HW - 287 (12/2007); GW - 165; CW - 164....proudly wearing a size 8!On my journey from LapBand to VSG.....LapBand on 12/19/07, LapBand removal on 8/8/12 and sleeve on1/23/13! Consider joining me at Band2Sleeve!( http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Band2Sleeve/)  Friend me on MyFitnessPal too! I'm gorditabonita74.

novascotiadawn
on 1/12/13 7:39 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hi there!!

Not really sure if I had it pre surgery! But, have been diagnosed with it since surgery! My weight came off fairly fast! Keep your chin up!!!

Hugs

Donna

Leaky sleeve survivor!!! 2008/2009 ~ 5'7"~ 42F Bougie

MomofMarch
on 1/12/13 8:55 am - GA

I am down 38 lbs since surgery. My hormones are still fluctuating. I feel bipolar at times. lol My cycles aren't regular, yet. (Was almost 3 weeks late.) My acne and hair growth is outrageous, though. I was told that we lose weight a bit slower, but I honestly haven't been able to tell. I did notice that bloat was way worse this time around, and it's affecting what the scale is telling me. I've heard that things can take up to a year to level out. I wish I had more advice, but I'm still a newb.

Laura- HW:240  SW: 224  GW:165 Surgery date 12/10/12

Winning the battle against obesity and PCOS!

PoohHag
on 1/12/13 9:18 am - TN
VSG on 06/11/12

PCOS here, diagnosed at 18, currently 42.

My periods are now completely regular.  My blood sugars are completely normal (A1C, fasting glucose, etc.).  The brown stain on the back of my neck is gone.  However, the hair growth has not improved yet, nor has the acne really.

Hoping that when I get to a normal weight, it will be better.  Yes, we do lose slower than others on here.  My numbers below are deceiving, as I lost 37 pounds of that before surgery.  So, 62 in 7 months.  Not the best rate, but I'll take it.

kam0520
on 1/12/13 10:32 am - AL

My hormones went INSANE. Before surgery I had stopped having a period all together, I had been on Aygestin for years to stop my cycle, and it did, 3 weeks post op, I started spotting so my doctor put me back on the Aygestin.  It didn't work. So he thought maybe some good old fashion birth control might work.  Nope.  Pure estrogen, nope, progesterone, nope.  I finally had a D&C and THAT didn't stop the bleeding.  I bled HEAVY more or less (14+ incontinence pads a day) for 6 months.  I had to take FMLA leave because I was missing work it was so bad.  There was no medical reason for the bleeding either.  All my bloodwork showed the hormones were at the levels that should stop the bleeding.  Finally, after about 8 months and when he put me back on a full dose of Aygestin again I stopped, but still have a period (even though I shouldn't).  It's also made losing weight really hard, I am starving constantly.  I"m also not eating the right things, so I know that's on me, but it has been a long road.  I really hope that yours isn't as bad and it takes longer than almost 9 months for things to straighten out for you!

www.kasleeved.com the (almost) daily journey after VSG

Eat to live, don't live to eat.
D. Scott
on 1/12/13 11:10 am
RNY with

Thanks, I've actually been through many issues like this for over 12 years. Hair loss, miscarriage in my second trimester, period absent for months on end, difficulties conceiving, etc. I believe the hardest of symptoms will self correct with weight loss as they did when I lost weight with my lap band. I am just curious when they improved for others. Thanks for responding

fear_of_grace
on 1/12/13 11:54 am - TN
VSG on 10/08/12

Hi!

I have PCOS and my symptoms have been about the same as they were pre surgery.  They only major differences I've noticed is that about a month ago I broke out with acne and had more hair on my face all of a sudden.  I plucked the hair and haven't seen it since.  

My periods have always been irregular, even more so since I got my IUD, but right before surgery and then for the next 2 months I had normal periods that came on schedule.  Now I'm about 3 weeks overdue, so I'm guessing my hormones are just a roller coaster right now.  I have been losing weight like crazy these past 2 weeks so I'll take that over a period anytime!!!  

My weight loss seems to stop and start, some weeks my body "wants" to lose and some weeks not so much.  The weightlosss has been slow so far, but at least the numbers aren't going up, haha.  

I'm probably not far out enough to answer your questions, but wanted to let you know my 3 month out perspective! 

Month 1: -27 lbs Month 2:  -9 lbs Month 3: -11 lbs Month 4:-10 lbs Month 5: -8 lbs

Month 6: -8 lbs Month 7: -5 lbs Month 8: -9 lbs  Month 9: -2 lbs Month 10:

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 80 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 295 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 344 views