Question: Constipation treatment and weakened bowl muscles (TMI)

Bella_Fein
on 1/12/13 8:23 am, edited 1/12/13 8:24 am - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

I know, I know. bowel movements (BM's) have been discussed a lot. Well, it's my turn. I have used the search and have not found what I am looking for.

I am not a very regular person, in many ways really, but this time I am talking BM's. I see this getting worse after surgery. I should have been dealing with this issue long ago, but I need to start working on it now and be prepared for post-op. I hear Mom, Miralax, Dulcolax, fiber, etc. I can't seem to find a definitive answer on which is better. Even doctors can't seem to agree. Some say fiber daily to stay regular because MoM and other medications can cause your muscles in your bowels to weaken. Some swear by a daily or weekly dose of MoM or the like.

I know I should ask my doctor, but even with doctors opinions on the matter varying; is his direction even the correct one? I don't know what I am expecting here. Just a bit of guidance I guess. In the end I'm sure I will do whatever my doctor says.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

AnnieinIA
on 1/12/13 8:47 am
The problem you are facing with doctors having varied opinions will just be even more problematic if people respond to you here..... You will get varied opinions but from people without medical degrees.

I had (oh please, god make it stay in the past) lots and lots of problems along this line. I question a lot of what my surgeon says, to be honest, but I followed his directions in this regard. I figured if I had to go to the ER or something, I didn't want it to be because I didn't listen to him.

Oddly, for no apparent reason, I am doing better. I still take 2 colace a day, but that's nothing compared to what I used to take.

Best to you - talk to your doc

Annie
Bella_Fein
on 1/12/13 9:10 am - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

I will listen to my doctor. I have an appointment in a couple weeks. I would rather not face him due to a problem because I was not listening. I am just looking for thoughts and a civil discussion.

AnnieinIA
on 1/12/13 9:28 am
I sure didn't mean to sound snotty or dismissive. I thought I might DIE from the reality that I just couldn't go to the bathroom. I read what I could on here and tried many of the things that worked for others. Smoothe Move Tea is something some people use that sounded like a great idea. Well, I took about 3 drinks before I was doubled up in pain. That stuff is definitely not for me.

I think it's different for everybody. Really, i do.

Now this is another theory I have about my own experience... I have IBS so in general I fluctuate between constipation and diarrhea (pre- VSG). After surgery I was constipated so badly I was in tears every day. Finally after a couple of months my doc was advising heavy doses of several meds. But...strangely.... I started going on my own (still 2 colace) and went from forcing it once a week to going on my own 2-3 times a week. What a MIRACLE! I think my body had been in shut down mode ( I think this for other reasons too) and it "recovered". I have never heard anyone post this type of comment, so I have kept it to myself. ;0)

Annie
judyhill1968
on 1/12/13 9:26 am
VSG on 12/13/12

I was having the problem the first 3 weeks and depended on my weekly dose of MOM.  But now that I can swallow capsules, I'm back on my daily dose of probiotics that keep me regular.  I've seen several post on here where people take probiotics daily....they really work!!

Bella_Fein
on 1/12/13 10:00 am - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

I have heard this too! I have a 1 month supply right here on my desk. It is called Culturelle. I'm not really sure what I should be looking for in those. I have done zero research on them. I guess I should start that!!

judyhill1968
on 1/12/13 10:06 am
VSG on 12/13/12

I buy them from my local health food store.  Was buying them from Walmart, but discover the count of good bacteria is alot higher and i don't have to take as many of the ones i get from the health store.  The higher the good bacteria the greater the results.  I'm taking 14 billion.  The normal dose is 2 a day, which i did prior to surgery, but now only taking 1 a day it works well.  I get a bottle of 120 capsules for $25.  The brand I use is PB8.  They are gluten free vegetarian capsules.

I recommend them!

Bella_Fein
on 1/12/13 10:31 am - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

This box says 1 a day and it has 10 billion cells. I will have to check around!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 255 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views