Menopause

erikalea1970
on 1/13/13 10:22 am - NJ
VSG on 06/11/12

So, I am 42 and had my sleeve surgery 7 months ago and feel incredible (85 pounds lost!!)  But I have a new worry - I need to have my ovaries surgically removed, probably this summer since I'm a teacher, due to my recently discovered BRCA mutation that puts me at an elevated risk for breast and ovarian cancer.  The surgery will put me into immediate surgical menopause, and although my docs have said I can take HRT meds to mitigate the effects, they would only be temporary with the goal to phase them out since the extra estrogen increases breast cancer risk.  I have heard that weight gain goes hand and hand with menopause, but I haven't heard WHY - is it an inevitable effect of hormone changes, or is it linked to common behavioral changes that I might be able to avoid with the help of my sleeve?  If anyone has entered menopause after sleeve surgery (either naturally or due to gynecological surgery like mine) and could offer insight, I'd really appreciate hearing about your experience!!

"Failure is not an option" - Apollo 13   

healey63
on 1/13/13 10:49 am

I had a complete hysterectomy feb 2011 and it does pu you in menopause.   I had everything removed.   I was put on the estrogen patch .05.    I have done extremely wellwith the patch and have not gained any weight.  Be sure to go on some kind of HRT because you sure dont want hotflashes!!

Mom4Jazz
on 1/13/13 9:42 pm

It's pretty simple: Your metabolism slows down after menopause. So if you keep eating the same number of calories that maintained you before menopause, you'll gain. You've probably noticed that older people tend to eat less. Do likewise and you'll be fine.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

desertmom
on 1/13/13 10:36 pm - Dubai, XX
VSG on 03/13/12
Hi

I am 45 and the fast weight loss after surgery threw me right into menopause.The sudden loss of estrogen cuased this.I had bloods done beofre surgery and everything was normal then.

As breast cancer is very prevalent in my family I have decided to not do HRT.My mom took the tabs for years and when the dr took her off it at 65 she had all the symptoms of menopause anyway.She just recently stopped flushing and she is 70.I ont want the burden of that when I am older.

Now,the flushes are terrible.Mentally more so than anything else.The palpitations and anxiety is scary but I am eating edamame beans like theres no tomorrow and I am going to start taking starflower capsules which everybody swears by.I am trying to convince myself I will survive this without going mad...lol

The dr will most probably put you on low dose HRT anyway as the estrogen drops immediately and the side effects will be very intense.You should just dicuss this with them and decide how long you should stay on it.

Good luck with all this.Menopause sucks but we have to somehow get through it anyway.

desertmom
on 1/13/13 10:39 pm - Dubai, XX
VSG on 03/13/12
O,and as for the weight thing.I am 10 mons out and 4,5 pounds from goal.Lost 130 pounds in 10 months and I am a very very bad at being consistent with the exercise.Just play squash twice a week.

So,it shouldnt affect you too much anyway.

xxo

erikalea1970
on 1/13/13 11:56 pm - NJ
VSG on 06/11/12
Thanks everyone for the quick feedback. Have my first appt with the gynecological oncologist in about 15 min, so these comments have given me good ideas on what to ask about. Thanks again!!
"Failure is not an option" - Apollo 13   

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 200 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 282 views