Should I participate?

bluerskies
on 1/15/13 3:31 am
VSG on 06/25/12

At my place of employment they are holding a "Biggest Loser" competition for the next two months. Participants are contributing $20 into the pool and at the end, the winner takes all. I could love to participate and would appreciate the additional motivation. But I'm wondering if I would be at an unfair advantage because of my surgery. I'm almost 7 months out and my weight loss is definitely slower these days. Any thoughts?

The people putting on the competition know about my surgery and don't think it would likely be a problem for me to participate.  But they are still discussing it.  I would love a shot at winning and could use some new clothes that aren't falling off.  ;)

Jessica

mimij
on 1/15/13 3:46 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

I am just saying what I would do...I would not participate because I don't believe it is an even playing field. If there was no advantage, we would lose the weight without surgery. Even at my slowest weight loss I can still lose faster than I did without surgery. 

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

edelu
on 1/15/13 4:34 am, edited 1/15/13 4:34 am - los angeles, CA

what she said, exactly. I am not a resentful person but i would not appreciate being in competition if i felt it were not a level playing field.  think Lance Armstrong. It simply would not be worth the feelings it would agitate with your co-workers.

AdeanaMarie
on 1/15/13 3:53 am - MI
VSG on 03/08/12

If it were me, I would not participate.  I think others could have bitter feelings over it.  Since they do know about your surgery.  Even though the weight is coming off slower for you, it is still coming off and you have a tool they do not have.  So it is a bit of an unfair advantage.  I know how I would feel about it prior to surgery and it would bother me, if I was someone doing it and had not had surgery.

Could you participate and not be included in the final prize?  Less motivating for you, but you could still be of encouragement to others and they to you.  Of course, you would not have to put the initial $20 in either, you could put that toward new clothes.  :O)  You can get quite a bit for $20 at Goodwill or Salvation Army too.

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

(deactivated member)
on 1/15/13 3:59 am

I wouldn't.  It would be cheating.

bluerskies
on 1/15/13 4:16 am
VSG on 06/25/12

Thanks for all of the honest input!  There's obviously a reason I've been questioning it...

Jessica

AdeanaMarie
on 1/15/13 4:46 am - MI
VSG on 03/08/12

It certainly would be tempting though.  :O)

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

noftessa0401
on 1/15/13 4:48 am - San Diego, CA
RNY on 12/27/12

It sounds like you already know what you are going to do, but I also wouldn't participate.  But, I would put in the $20, and ask the coordinators to make a separate goal for you.  If you are not the "winner," you lose your $20.  If you are the "winner," you get it back.  That way, you have some motivation.  (You don't have to make the motivation you losing the most weight, either.  You could set a straight goal, or a percentage, or frankly, whatever you want).

HW: 274 | SW: 232 | CW: 137 | Goal: 145 (ticker includes a 42 pound loss pre-op) | Height: 5'4"

M1: -24 (205) | M2: -14 (191) | M3: -11 (180) | M4: -7 (173) | M5: -7 (166) | M6: -8 (158) | M7: -11 (147) | M8: -2 (145) | M9: -3 (142) | M10: -2 (140) | M11: -4 (136) | M12: -2 (134) | M13: -0 (134) | M14: -3 (131) | M15: +4 (135) | M16: +2 (137)

frisco
on 1/15/13 5:10 am

Lance Armstrong.......

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

ckpointchickie
on 1/15/13 7:19 am - IN
VSG on 11/20/12

Just giving a reason why we allowed employees who have had bariatric surgery participate in our BL competition...one of them did win the competition, but the people who came in second and third were only a few lbs behind her. The difference was not that huge.  The other thing is, what about the people who have paid for gym memberships or are taking any number of weight loss supplements, and using personal trainers?  I guess we looked at is that everyone has a method.  And I don't know about your experience , but this hasn't been easy for a lot of people.  So I guess I don't see that overall it is that controversial.  Also, keep in mind, some of the people on the tv show have had bariatric surgery and some of them have not. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 349 views