Weighing and Measuring Your Food -- do you?

louisamay
on 1/17/13 12:02 am
VSG on 04/27/12

How many of you don't actually weigh and measure your food? Has that worked for you?

I ask because I'm constantly astonished at how many people I know on various weight loss plans (not just WLS) who don't bother, and are surprised it makes a difference. One friend has tried to lose 30 pounds for years and "nothing works."  She talked about WW not working for her, that she never lost, she actually gained. That anything she tries, she gains instead of losing. Well, I can't judge what she's tried and not tried, but recently she revealed that she might try WW again. That she guessed she'd buy a scale so she could weigh stuff.  Turns out she wasn't weighing and measuring at all!

When I went to WW meetings our leader hit that pretty hard, and even there I was surprised at how many people sheepisly raised their hands admitting that they usually didn't bother.

I have a 1/4 cup measuring cup that stays in my Fage 0% yogurt all the time, so that it's easy to scoop out and measure. I have a food scale on my countertop that I use to weigh my meat, cheese or anything else that needs to be weighed.

So I guess I'm warning you, if you're just beginning your journey, get in the habit. And I'm curious, do many people find success without actually weighing and measuring? If you do, this is your chance to set me straight!

And of course, tracking it is just as important. I use MFP and I think most of us do.

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

valentinoAB
on 1/17/13 12:11 am

YES ..... I have even started taking a thin food scale with me to resturaunts to make sure 

Shagdoll
on 1/17/13 12:15 am

I will admit to not measuring as much as I should have.  I always measured stuff in measuring cups like cottage cheese & plain nonfat greek yogurt but not always with my dense protein.  I think I could have gotten to goal sooner if I did. 

I agree with you, it's worth the extra effort to measuring for sure, it will make a BIG difference!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

mimij
on 1/17/13 12:19 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

Yes, the eye and guestimating becomes less reliable over time. I weigh and measure at home, when I prepare lunch for work and the only time I estimate is when I am at a restaurant which is infrequently.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

ravenbrown
on 1/17/13 12:24 am - TX
VSG on 10/08/12

I weigh nearly everything, except when I eat out which is rare.  That's a pretty normal practice for me even before surgery.  I like numbers. 

MuttLover
on 1/17/13 12:26 am
VSG on 11/14/12

Same here- only eyeball at a restaurant.  The scale sets on the counter so I can get to it easily.  And goes into MFP.  A pain, but how else can you know exactly what you are eating.  I also put "recipes" into MFP, so that I can more easily enter the stuff I make as well, especially if it has several ingredients!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

vogue
on 1/17/13 12:33 am
VSG on 08/30/12

I guesstimate for the most part...   my sleeve doesnt let me go over...I get full VERY fast

when I fix my plate at home, I make portion sizes half the size of my fist....protein, then vegetable... Im ALWAYS full before I can finish

2 days ago I purchased 1/4 pound of tuna salad...     ate half with 10 baby spinach leaves for lunch... this morning ate other half for breakfast...

1/8lb= 4 ounces...

works for me...  

pineview01
on 1/17/13 1:05 pm, edited 1/17/13 1:06 pm - Davison, MI

1/8 lb = 2 oz

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

kenwilliams
on 1/17/13 12:37 am

Please excuse the ignorance of a preop noob.   What does MFP stand for?

stephanieplum
on 1/17/13 2:07 am
VSG on 06/27/12

My Fitness Pal :)  It's tracks yours calories, ect. and it's free.  Google it:)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 396 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 425 views