Measuring seasonings???

Lexie 84
on 1/17/13 5:03 am - Washington, DC
VSG on 03/13/12

I did a search before making this post...couldn't find anything

When cooking and seasoning, do you measure out the seasoning for exact stats listed on the bottle of seasoning? I want to get more specific about extra calories and also sodium intake (I have been struggling with water weight up and down every week and I think it's due to too much sodium). I'm used to taking my seasoning salt bottle or garlic powder, etc and just shaking away over my meat. I never really paid attention to the calories and stuff listed and up until now, i haven't logged it on MFP. But I'm thinking I should start...any thoughts?

Wildcat-NYC
on 1/17/13 5:13 am
VSG on 08/16/12

I measure my spices as directed by the bottles and log those in my fitness pal...

Tracker starting weight = surgery weight    
MsBatt
on 1/17/13 5:21 am

The only time I measure things like spices and seasonings is when I'm baking. I can't imagine there would be a significant number of calories in seasonings---but keep us posted on what you find out, okay?

(deactivated member)
on 1/17/13 6:48 am

The only time I might do this is to keep a handle on sodium, otherwise, the spices have negligible calories, carbs or protein counts.

stillalb
on 1/17/13 11:56 am

I use a ton of spices! AND I don't track any of them. But, I make a point to not buy any with sugar as part of the blend and I try and limit the salt a bit by having a heavier hand with other spices such as pepper, curry, herbal blends, etc. Any good spice will have a list of what is in it (unless it is literally only one spice ie cinamon, dill, pepper, etc. and those have negligible calories and nothing worth tracking). On the blends as long as you read the ingredients and it doesn't have added sugar or sugar like stuff than I would say not a big deal. One caveat - I too have had to deal with swelling and water weight. What I have found is tha****er weight indicates it is my time of the month. And any other water weight or swelling means I didn't drink enough water.  I strive for 15 plus glasses (8 oz times 15) per day. It is tough but makes all the difference in the world.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 370 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 412 views