Anybody as scared of the rotavirus as I am?

4seasons
on 1/18/13 3:57 am
VSG on 08/13/12

One of the first things I heard after surgery was to try to prevent any vomiting so you won't harm your new stomach. UGH!!!

The flu and the rotavirus have hit my office hard. I spray Lysol and wipe down everything with disinfecting wipes constantly. My co-workers think I'm anal. Well, whatever it takes.

I couldn't believe it this morning when a co-worker came in "for an hour" to get some things done. She announced that two of her three kids had rotavirus, the third was vomiting when she left and she said she didn't feel good herself.

REALLY?????

I so wanted call her a dumba$&! but I was good as I grabbed my Lysol can.

Has anyone on here gotten the flu and how have your fared with it? I need to know if it's worse for VSG patients.

"It's not about perfect. It's about effort. And when you bring that effort every single day, that's where transformation happens. That's how change occurs." 

HW: 310 ~ SW: 289 ~ GW: 175
sid1176
on 1/18/13 4:22 am
VSG on 08/21/12

I managed to pick up a Norovirus on a flight home from Texas last week. It was horrible for about 6 hours-- vomiting, diarrhea, you name it. And yes, you feel like it would be easier to just die than feel so miserable! The thing I noticed was: dehydration hits you FAST. I debated the need to head to Urgent Care or the ER for a couple of hours but ended up starting sipping Pedialyte once the vomiting stopped.

I could not eat for about 2-3 days (dropped 6 pounds in the first 12 hours) but I made sure to do water (slow, small sips) and the Pedialyte for the first day or two. Then I went back to the tried & true IsoPure so I was getting protein. I'm slowly getting back to eating this week but have been a big gunshy-- there are days when things still don't sit so well.

I don't think it is "worse" for us VSGers in how long it might last, etc. but we all need to be careful about dehydration and nutrition DURING the worst of it and in the days after.

You're on the right track as far as keeping your hands clean, Lysol, etc. There's only so much we can do but those are the key ways to avoid it.

All the best--

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare. It is because we do not dare that they are difficult. -- Seneca
Edelge
on 1/18/13 1:19 pm
VSG on 04/02/13
Great idea on the pedialyte. I just might get some to keep on hand, or at least the ingredients to make my own. Pretty sure I saw it on Pinterest :)

Ms Shell
on 1/18/13 4:39 am - Hawthorne, CA

The "harm" to your stomach and vomiting is during the first 3 months when essentially your stomach is healing...not that I want ANY virus but as far as harming your stomach you are good to go.  At least I think I saw you had your surgery August 2012?

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 1/18/13 5:10 am
VSG on 10/09/12
I picked up a nasty cough in the last few days and a runny nose, sneezies (not the same as my full signal) and it feels like it did before surgery, like I am coughing up my lungs, stomach and intestines...itchy scratchy throat and all. I am way less inclined to eat, was done on one ounce or so of chicken today at dinner...drinking a lot and apart from feeling like I could get a hernia from the coughing, it feels as it did before surgery...miserable.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

4seasons
on 1/18/13 5:59 am
VSG on 08/13/12

Let's try Noravirus. I must already be sick with fever for that airbubble move. LOL!

"It's not about perfect. It's about effort. And when you bring that effort every single day, that's where transformation happens. That's how change occurs." 

HW: 310 ~ SW: 289 ~ GW: 175
valentinoAB
on 1/18/13 8:42 am
I got the virus Christmas Day !!! It was terrible!!! It lasted for hours and hours!!!

I was worried too but I'm fine things are going well!

Julie L.
on 1/20/13 1:36 am - Montreal, Canada
VSG on 11/08/12

Rotavirus is usually something that affects children,  chances are you've had it when you were a child and are probably immune to it.   My daughter had it when she was 3 and she was hospitalized for 2 days (for IV hydration),  but my husband and I never caught it.    Norovirus is the one that usually affects adults.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 307 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 353 views