(Newcomer) Want to rack up some good karma? :p

Alove188
on 1/18/13 7:34 am
VSG on 01/28/13

Hi all!

I am scheduled for the sleeve in about a week & was hoping I would find some pearls of wisdom from folks that have been there, done that, bought the tee-shirt.

My main concerns are extra skin & hair loss...(I have about 100 lbs to lose), so does anyone have any advice or tips on how to prevent or lessen these effects? (already bought biotin), Or any other tips or information that would benefit someone to know pre-surgery?

I'd really appreciate it,

Thanks so much!  frown

71dart
on 1/18/13 7:38 am
VSG on 08/06/12 with
Fehdetaboutit

Just do it.

(deactivated member)
on 1/18/13 7:41 am

There is really nothing you can do about the hair. You will hear all kinds of advice, but I don't buy into any of it.  The only thing you can really do is make sure that you get enough protein in every single day.  This will not prevent the loss of hair, but at least your hair will re-grow nicely.  My hair came back thicker than when it fell out.  You will not go bald, but you will not like it one bit.  It usually starts at about 3 months and goes on for about four months after that.  It is a small price to pay and is temporary. 

The skin is a different story.  The sooner you start to lift weights, the better off you will be.  You will lose less muscle and you will build up the skin (a bit ) that you will stretch.  My skin did improve about a year after I reached my maintenance level.  Losing slower does not help.  Only age, genetics and your overall health along with lack of smoking makes a difference. 

Alove188
on 1/18/13 7:57 am
VSG on 01/28/13

Thanks so much Elina,

Your transformation is beautiful & you seem to really know your stuff  from what I saw browsing around the forum

You don't look to have any extra skin, so I guess there's hope after all  =)

(deactivated member)
on 1/18/13 8:01 am

Well....

You should know that I did have a BL and a LBL so I did have extra skin.  If you look closely at my arms, there is a bit of skin there and some on my upper thighs.  There is not enough there to do anything about it.  I looked just fine in clothes, actually, pretty much the same as I do now.  I wanted to also look good in a bikini.... that required extra help.  :) 

Machelle.K
on 1/18/13 7:43 am - WA
VSG on 11/06/12

I cannot answer to the hair loss, but my advice is listen to your body after surgery and remember to follow your drs orders. You will need good rest to heal from major surgery, water, and lots of walking. Good Luck!

Machelle 11/6/2012 with Dr. Houseworth WA

Laci M.
on 1/18/13 7:56 am
VSG on 10/09/12

My piece of advice - SIP SIP SIP...don't let yourself get dehydrated.

Alove188
on 1/18/13 7:58 am
VSG on 01/28/13

BPA free foldable water bottles ready to go! =)

Thanks

Alove188
on 1/18/13 8:01 am
VSG on 01/28/13

By the way, my eyes just about popped out of my skull when I looked at your progress so far

Absolutely ahhmazing!, good luck with the rest of your journey :)

Crabadams72
on 1/18/13 8:29 am - Silver Spring, MD
I have lost 120 pounds. If you click my name you can look at my pics.

My excess skin in minimal-however, I think it is genetics. I only walked and did good old gym class exercises, pushups, squats, crunches.

I did not lose hair. I didn't do anything special. Plastics helps better than anything else I've seen.
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 47 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 47 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 206 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 290 views