Telling friends, family and coworkers

Sarah W.
on 1/19/13 12:09 am - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 09/27/12
Only my immediate family (husband, my parents, his parents & my grandparents) and 1 close friend. I have a really big family and just didn't feel like it was anyone else's business.

I also have a gossipy office and didn't wish to share there for several reasons and comments people have made about WLS and other's who've had it. Wow, I just realized what a toxic environment my workplace is. Hmm.

Anyway, I'm thrilled for everyone who has a great support system in place. I have my MFP family, the OH boards and my few close supporters in my corner and so far I'm happy with that decision.

Sarah 5'3" VSG 9/27/12 KC Bariatric Center. Find me on MFP! Sarah829522.  

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/13 12:12 am - Worcester, MA
VSG on 02/25/13

I have decided not to tell my family or friends. My husband and I have told my mother in law which she has already gone threw the process. My sister in law but that's it. My family is not support about it, they are all overweight and have voiced there opinions on the matter adn I know they wouldn't support me. I think maybe sometime down the road I will say something but not till then.

jen_vsg_4me
on 1/19/13 1:07 am - Iaeger, WV
VSG on 01/23/13

At first, I told only my husband, kids, and family (like my dad and brothers and sister).. slowly I have told more people... but last night, I told my first lie about having this surgery... and I feel so guilty. I shouldn't have lied.

I homeschool my kids and I was talking to some other homeschool moms on facebook about being a little behind in homeschooling because of all the doctor's appointments and that I am having surgery next week so I won't be able to go to any functions for a while... one of the moms privately asked me what kind of surgery I was going to have. I didn't want to say WLS because she might judge me... so I said I was having stomach problems and might have to have part of it removed and they were going to do a hernia repair too... I mean... it's kind of true but that makes it sound like I have been ill.. like this is surgery to fix something bad like cancer.. so I feel really guilty and shouldn't have lied to her. She even offered to help me with things after surgery.. like preparing meals for the family and so on... I told her that my older daughters will help, and thanked her.  I'm thinking of telling her the truth because it will probably come out later on and it will be really worse if I don't just tell her the truth now... we aren't close friends or anything but our kids play together.

Ugh, I shouldn't have lied.

My youtube channel is http://www.youtube.com/user/ShrinkingJenn

Surgery Date: January 23, 2013

cheryls222
on 1/19/13 2:40 am - Bothell, WA
VSG on 09/12/13

I am just beginning the process.  I did tell my closest friends knowing that they would support me. It was the hardest thing to tell them. Once the words actually came out, it was a relief. Both went to the seminar with me!  They all know how I have struggled. I need their help because I live alone.  They are the best!

My family on the other hand really do not know how obesity has effected me.  I never talk about it to them. My parents are in their 70's and not very healthy so I do not want to put the added worry on them.  My co-workers....some would understand, some not so much.  I do not need any one judging me about this.  I have enough doubts and fears all on my own!  I do not need the back ground noise along with it.  Once I have a date set, I will tell my parents.  No sure what I'll tell co-workers. I have to see how at feel once it gets closer. 

I agree with one of the other posts that lying is probably not a good idea.  At some point they will find out and feelings could be hurt.

It is what it is and I need to own it!!! 

Spencerella
on 1/19/13 2:46 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12
I told virtually no one before - particularly because I was going to Mexico for surgery. Didn't want to have to be convincing people that going to Tijuana for major surgery was a wise thing to do (teehee). Now that I'm post op, I tell people when I feel drawn to do so, but that's not been very often. At least not yet.

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

swampbaby
on 1/19/13 7:57 am
VSG on 02/20/13

I will have surgery in late February.  My husband knows, as well as very immediate family.  I've told a good friend from work.  I will tell others after I have it, if they ask what I'm doing to lose weight.  I don't want to hear anyone's negative comments before I have surgery.  I am in the healthcare field, and work with some very judgmental people.  I am taking an extended leave for about 7 months.  When I return to work there will be a very obvious difference in my appearance.  (You know when you see someone daily, the changes are not as obvious, but not seeing me for seven months it should be really obvious.)  At that point, any one who wants to make negative comments or judge me for my choices can line up and kiss my thinner ass. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 309 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 356 views