Telling friends, family and coworkers

Rms928
on 1/18/13 10:58 pm
VSG on 03/20/13

Have you told your friends family or coworkers about your surgery?  I've chosen to tell everyone I know about it.  I'm excited about my life changing decision and want everyone to share in it.  How do you feel?  Do you feel it's a private decision and only your and your loved ones business?  Just curious.....

M1-10 M2-31.4 M3-11 M4-16.8 M5-15 M6-10 M7-14 M8-9

Keith L.
on 1/18/13 10:59 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12
Yes everyone and not one negative reaction.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

dec721
on 1/18/13 11:01 pm - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with

Yup, told EVERYONE!!!  (I don't have any family, though.)  Every single person was 100% supportive.  Best decision I've made in a very long time :-)

--Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

MomofMarch
on 1/18/13 11:02 pm - GA

I told everyone about it. I had a lot of support from my family and friends. My inlaws didn't really approve. They told me there were thousands of diets in the world, and I needed to try them all first. Hahaha Yeah right! After 9 years of every possible diet I could think of, I was READY for this! I post my stats on my FB page because we have so many friends and family far away. It's a REALLY good feeling to have people support you and being proud of you, even when they can't see you.

Now, on the other side, I have a very good friend that didn't tell anyone besides her husband and myself. Mainly because she also deals with the PCOS, like I do. She didn't feel any judgement coming from me. Other than that, she didn't feel it was anyone's business.

It is a personal decision, and neither side is wrong. :) JMO

Laura- HW:240  SW: 224  GW:165 Surgery date 12/10/12

Winning the battle against obesity and PCOS!

marydan
on 1/18/13 11:08 pm - NY

I only told my husband and kids, plus immediate co-workers and closest, oldest friends. I couldn't trust that my employer would "allow me" to use my time off when I needed it (personal leave, not all sick), let alone approve in general. I'm slowly deciding who to let in on my news, now that it's over. I told my siblings after and got the reactions I figured I'd see - and I'm ok with that. I did this for me and my life with my immediate family. I'm all good. You - are very lucky you could just go for it and tell everyone and not have any hassles to deal with. I'm glad for you.

gorditabonita
on 1/18/13 11:08 pm - Springfield, VA
VSG on 01/23/13 with

My close family members know and select folks outside of that......I find that people can be very judgmental and I don't care to deal with that. I consider it my personal business, so I guess I am rather private about it. Good luck with your journey!

HW - 287 (12/2007); GW - 165; CW - 164....proudly wearing a size 8!On my journey from LapBand to VSG.....LapBand on 12/19/07, LapBand removal on 8/8/12 and sleeve on1/23/13! Consider joining me at Band2Sleeve!( http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Band2Sleeve/)  Friend me on MyFitnessPal too! I'm gorditabonita74.

chanteuse1
on 1/18/13 11:19 pm - LA
VSG on 09/05/12

I told my parents, my children, 'need-to-know' folks at work, and my significant other - not even my siblings (Mama did that).  I don't feel like it's a secret, just not everyone's business.  As time has passed, I've told others as they've commented on my weight.  Not all of them, either!  It really has depended on my level of 'intimacy' with each person.

I can easily see how, for some people, it's an accountability tool to have others know.  I say, use all the supports you have at your disposal.  There is enough accountability in my family for me!  (both parents living, four siblings, and four children)

Best of luck to you on your weight loss journey.  OH is a great place for support, cheerleaders, accountability, hugs, advice..........whatever you need!

Cheryl M.
on 1/18/13 11:35 pm

I'm telling very few people.  My husband, parents, mother-in-law, and 2 friends know.  My kids have just been told that I'm having surgery but not any details.

MrsRigDiver
on 1/18/13 11:46 pm - TX
VSG on 01/07/13

We also chose not to share. My husband has told. Few people a work, his parents now know - though none if his siblings. For me, my daughter, a few of DH's coworkers, and M&FIL. None of my coworkers or family know. 

For us, it's a personal decision. We haven't had to explain our eating habits but when we do, we will just say we're eating smaller meals to lose weight. 

Pat one point we may decide to tell but for now, no. 

Thanks, Diana

“All our dreams can come true – if we have the courage to pursue them.” –Walt Disney

lucy2e
on 1/18/13 11:50 pm - Laurel, MD

I was an "open book" too.  I found it much easier for several reasons - 1 people understood why I was acting weird/eating weirder - and boy do we eat weird at the start!, 2 I'm a big mouth so easier to just know everyone knows not have to remember I told x but not y, did I tell z????, 3 I didn't need to explain the weight sudden weight loss -  nobody asked if I had cancer lol, 4 I had lots of support and felt like then I was making myself more accountable - everyone knew if I cheated!!!

I think that in the end it's each of our own journey and we have to do what is right for us - for me, the right thing was totally to blab it to everyone and their cousin!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 49 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 49 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 215 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 298 views