Training for 5k"s this year

TNERNURSE
on 1/20/13 9:12 am

One goal this year other than hitting a normal BMI was to participate in some 5k's . Well, I  have registered for my first 5k in April.It is the color rad run for Children's hospital. Also, want to do the cure for breast cancer this Fall, the alzheimer's walk and the reindeer run in Dec. We will see if I am able to achieve these goals. Want to participate in a 5k for the fight against obesity if I can find one. Would love for our bariatric center to sponsor but they have not had one for the last few years. I have been alternating brisk walk and jog - more like a slow trot but at least I am moving! Today I downloaded the couch to 5 k and started the program. Love how the app does the countdown for you and it went by so fast. Wanted to be at goal weight by March and that probably is not going to happen. I need to lose about 26 more pounds to a normal BMI. I am within 10 lbs of my surgeons goal for me. If I do lose 36 more lbs that 10 more lbs will be a bonus. Will keep following the plan and see were I end up at.

econtiff
on 1/20/13 9:26 am - FL
VSG on 04/24/12

Great progress! You can totally do it!

I used C25K for my first 5K. From October through the end of the year, I shaved over 4 minutes off my time. Once your body gets started, it loves it!

Just keep moving. It takes more energy to start and stop so if you think you'll have issues making it the whole way; try to keep a little trot going. That was my only goal on my first one. Let me know if you want any more tips. I'm queen of unsolicited advice, lol.

I really liked this article about what to eat before a run and modify for a more bariatric approach: http://www.fitsugar.com/What-Eat-Before-Run-24108225

TNERNURSE
on 1/20/13 12:22 pm

Thanks for the link to the article- looks like some go information. I remember when I increased my cardio to 50 minutes I felt totally wiped out at the end of workout. I talked to the trainer at the gym about how to fuel my tank for the workout and replenish afterwards. A very important part of any routine.

ruggie
on 1/20/13 10:16 am - Sacramento, CA

I used Ease-into-5K to train for a 5K last year, and it worked great!  Trying the 10K version now ;)

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

jacreasy
on 1/20/13 9:22 pm
VSG on 04/23/12

Congratsangry I hope to be able to do the Color Run in April as well!! kiss

(VSG)  HW, 346 SW, 341 CW 176.2 GW, 165  kiss

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 130 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 386 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op