DEPRESSED!

lauriegirl143
on 1/21/13 9:31 am

hello fellow sleevers-are or have any of you experienced any depression?  i am one year out of my surgery and have lost 100 pounds.  i am still having problems adjusting to the new food plan.  i am depressed often and cant really figure out why.  i know i dont have te food to go to anymore and maybe this is part of the problem.  im thinking a year is a long time and i should be adjusted to my lifestyle by now.  anyone else having or have had these feelings?

lucy2e
on 1/21/13 9:47 am - Laurel, MD

Hi Laurie!  I'm so sorry that you are struggling with depression.  It makes sense - pre-op your antidepressant was food, now  that it is taken away you have a gap.  You need to fill that gap - either with therapy or maybe some medication (or both).  (((hugs))) Please don't struggle with this on your own - there are plenty of professionals out there who can help you to get past it and to feel like you again!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

Shanda J.
on 1/21/13 10:24 am - IL
VSG on 02/11/13

Hi I have not had my surgery yet, but I battle with depression now. I have spoke to my psychiatrist about this after surgery, because food is my go to drug when I'm depressed. I take meds already so he wants me to go see my therapist to find some coping skills since I no longer will have my drug (FOOD) I understand where you are coming from with depression, maybe you should go to see a therapist. My Dr. also suggested replacing food with exercise and or a hobby. I hope you get out of this funk it is not fun at ALL!!!

I'm sending hugs your way!!!

media604
on 1/22/13 8:07 am - GA

Yes, same here. I just posted about this yesterday. I am over 1.5 years out and at goal. I am very sad and annoyed that I have lost my "bubbly". Food actually is a very pleasurable part of life. I will say its a little better now and part of my problems are also complicated by going into menopause, coming into empty nest (almost empty) syndrome, and my Dad died 2 years ago. So, I've got to find a way to find my old "sunshine". I'm so happy with my surgery results and my health, but still I don't feel the pleasure I used to. I'm trying to find time now to find someone to talk to and also would love to find a temporary antidepressant that would work for me......over the years though, I've had no luck with any of them....have take 3 or 4 different ones for only 2 - 4 days, and then put then down because i hate.....did i say hate! feeling the side effects, like foggy , disoriented , etc. Any ideas on something I could try!

Best of luck to you, it does get better I think we just have to work really hard and finding our new "drug".

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 312 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views