Gall Bladder

Tenacious88
on 1/24/13 9:50 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 02/05/14

Question: Some patients have problems with their gall bladder after wls surgery and have to have it removed. Has anyone experienced this situation ?

Can you explain what you felt.

Regards. 88 

"We as Losers need to have Bull Dog Tenacity to win the war against obesity"                  

KnitsByMama
on 1/24/13 10:05 am - MO
VSG on 10/16/12

I started experiencing severe nausea and right sided abdomen pain, was unable to eat or drink at about 2.5 months post-op. Went to the ER for fluids cause I was dehydrated, my surgeon ordered a HIDA scan & a gallbladded ultrasound. I had sludge, stones & my gallbladder was only functioning at 3%. Had it removed 3 days later and have had NO nausea and I can eat almost anything now. Best thing I ever did after getting my VSG in the first place. 

Tenacious88
on 1/24/13 10:12 pm - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 02/05/14

Hi: Thanks for your reply. I'm thinking of having wls surgery this summer, so all of this info is helpful to me. To remove or not to remove, the gallbladder ?

Regards, 88

Calking
on 1/24/13 4:54 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

I didn't have this exact situation.  I actually had VSG last May but had my gall bladder removed almost 18 years ago.  For months I had issues with bad heartburn.  At first the doctor though it was an ulcer.  He gave me meds for an ulcer and that seemed to work.  I was in college and it was the weekend before finals started.  Friday I remember having lots of troubles with my stomach.  I couldn't eat much and I was studying in bed.  I found out that if I elevated my head to a near sitting position it was better.  I guess it was a very strong acid reflux type feeling.  I continued studying through Saturday having gotten very little sleep.  

On Sunday I went to the pharmacist to refill my "ulcer" medication as I ran out on Saturday.  I got to the car and immediately took two pills.  I reclined the seat and decided that then and there I would sleep.  I slept for a few hours.  Went home and studied.  Monday was my first final.  I felt feverish, nauseated (this was a recurring thing all along) and was running a slight temperature.  I went to school and took my final.  Went home to study for Tuesday's final some more.

Tuesday was a lot like Monday except food intake was getting lesser.  Most things I tried made me want to throw up.  I had discovered bananas and other bland things worked the best.  Went to school took my final feeling somewhat flu-like with the nausea and all.  

Wednesday was my third final and I continued feeling about the same.  I was eating a bit less but staying with bland things all along.  Called the doctor and made an appointment for Friday.

Thursday had my last two finals and then went to the store to get bananas which was close to the only thing I could eat at this point.  I found out I couldn't eat that any more.  I called the doctor and he suggested coming in that day things were sounding pretty bad.  I got to the doctor and he asked some questions and asked if I could drive myself to the hospital or did I need an ambulance.  I got to the hospital where they did an ultrasound right away.  With those results I was told that tomorrow morning at 7am (about 12 hours from that point) I would be having my gall bladder removed.  They were shocked that I hadn't been in more pain and didn't come in sooner.

The goal was to have a laparoscopic gall bladder surgery.  The reality is my gall bladder was so inflamed and about to burst that they wouldn't be able to remove it that way.  They did an old fashioned non laparoscopic surgery that left me with a 7 inch scar and two drains.  

So basically a nauseated feeling with some flu like symptoms such as the fever and the biggest indicator was not being able to eat much at all if anything.  It was a real interesting week.  I took all my finals and even got A's on every one of them while at any moment my gall bladder could have burst in my stomach leaving me in a real super bad situation possibly even death.  A week I will never ever forget.  By the way I had to spend a week in the hospital to recover from that.  The VSG surgery was a cake walk compared to that.  I wasn't hesitant or worried about going into the VSG surgery as I knew it couldn't be as bad as what I had already been though with flying colors.  

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

Tenacious88
on 1/24/13 10:03 pm - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 02/05/14

Thanks for your reply it was very helpful. Glad you're ok now.

UnRuli
on 1/26/13 1:47 am, edited 1/26/13 1:47 am - Plainwell, MI

I just recently had my gallbladder removed......on December 28th.....2 1/2 years after my sleeve.    I haven't had any issues with it, then the Saturday before Xmas I woke up with a general feeling of discomfort.   I have a pretty high pain tolerance and just kind of ignored it, but by the end of the day I couldn't get comfortable (pain under my ribs on the right side and between my shoulder blades) and later than that I started throwing up due to the pain.  My husband took me in to the emergency room and an ultrasound revealed lots of stones.  

Due to the holiday, there were no surgeons available for a non-emergency surgery so they gave me pain meds and sent me on my way suggesting that I schedule an appointment with my doctor or surgeon of choice.  That Thursday I went in to see the surgeon and he scheduled me for surgery the next day.   

I haven't noticed any side effects, and the relief was almost immediate.  The surgeon who did my sleeve did my GB removal.

Tenacious88
on 1/27/13 5:52 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 02/05/14

Hi: Thanks for your reply. Glad you're ok now.

hwag5149
on 1/27/13 11:34 am

I had mine out about a year after the VSG. I wish i would have had it out at the same time as the VSG. Worst pain of my life! Recovery from the surgery wasn't bad and they sent me home within an hour of the surgery.

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 364 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 408 views