Severe lacking of excercise motivation

bandarella
on 2/4/13 2:00 am - Bayonne, NJ
Revision on 06/19/12
No matter what I do, I cannot get motivated to excercise. I know it would help my weight loss journey, I'm only losing in drips & drabs. I work almost 60-70 hours a week, sometimes more. I know how critical working out is for overall health, I just can't seem to get started. I also have a bad back, knee & fibromyalgia. Anyone else struggling this much?

Phyllis  

Using a touch screen on my IPad, excuse any typos. 

Airpun79
on 2/4/13 2:40 am - Jacksonville, FL

Hi!
I was the same way...have/had a bad back  and a bad knee from a military-related injury.  However, I found that the extra weight was only making my pain much, much worse because as I lost the weight my back and knee no longer hurt.

As far as motivation goes, I realized that doing workouts in a group setting with a coach/trainer really motivates and yields the best out of me. I guess the competitiveness from the others in the group and motivation from the trainers also pushes me above and beyond my limits....limits I don't I could have reached if I worked out on my own. It's great!

Best of luck to you! -Larry

HW: 360      SW: 351             CW: 212         GOAL: 200 
Monthly Weight Loss Progression:
M1:-46 M2:-24 M3:-14 M4:-17 M5:-9 M6:-13 M7:-7 M8:-5  M9:-1 M10:-3 M11:-8 M12: -10

bandarella
on 2/4/13 2:54 am - Bayonne, NJ
Revision on 06/19/12
Thanks. My hours are crazy. Most group classes happen when I'm at work.

Phyllis  

rhinorg
on 2/4/13 2:48 am

",

RHINO CREED

“I M A RHINOCEROS

I HAVE A DAMN - THE TORPEDO  SPIRIT

I AM FULL OF RHINO .ENERGY AND I CAN'T WAIT

TO GET UP IN THE MORNNING TO START CHARGING"

1. Anything in life worth having is worth working for.

2. Sell yourself on yourself, be happy and smile.

3. Plan your attack and attack your plan.

4. Get physical exercise and get in shape.

5. Take care of yourself and eat Rhino food.

6. Get mental exercise, read good books, garbage in = garbage out.

7. Discipline yourself, use your time wisely, do it now!

8. Never lose your sense of humor, choose to be happy.

9. It’s all in your mind, positive mental attitude.

10. Plans change, prepare for Rhino problems, failure brings success-.

11. Have a 2 inch thick skin, it feels good to be a Rhino.

12. Kick the worry habit; things always work out for the best.

13. Associate with winners, as you associate - you become.

14. Work together, go for it!

15. Expect some rotten days, charge at your problems, and take action.

16. You have to give to get, when you share - you care a hundredfold.

17. Be a kid again, have a new experience.

18. Take a Rhino rest, don't forget about the crash or Rhinos.

19. Declare yourself a Rhino, became a Rhino today.

20. GO RHINO GO, KEEP CHARGING!

MuttLover
on 2/4/13 3:45 am
VSG on 11/14/12

For me, exercise falls into the "just suck it up and do it" category.  I like walking the dog OK, and I'll go walk around the mall (not very fast, I might miss a sale).  I liked team sports when I was younger.  But I HATE, HATE, HATE going to the gym, walking for exercise, etc. And I have a series of injuries that would be funny, it it wasn't true!

So here's what I do (as part of sucking it up):

1.  I go to the gym for water aerobics and water zumba (where no one can see my thighs rubbing together, and in water there's a lower chance of spontaneous combustion from said thighs!).  I even wear an aquatard, so there's some thigh compression!  LOL. 

2. I have a series of water exercises and I swim -- culled from previous therapies (shoulder, back, hip, ankles, knees, feet.  Really, told you it would be funny it wasn't true!).  I have a waterproof nano -- makes a huge difference, so I can rock out while I'm exercising or swimming.  I often change strokes every couple of laps too -- mostly because I'm out of breath and think I'll drown if I don't switch to a stroke where my face is completely out of the water while I'm gasping for air!

3. I have some appts with my personal trainer.  Because of my amazing ability to injure myself while breathing (practically), she helps make sure that I am using machines that will strengthen my weakest points without further injuring them.  She also makes sure I'm using the machines correctly and pushes me to increase the weights and reps.  I don't see her every session, just every two weeks to review progress.

So overall, Monday is water aerobics, Tuesday is resistance (and water if I feel like it), Wed is off -- we hope to start regular dance lessons in March, Thursday is resistance (and water), Friday I'm usually off --or we do a dance lesson sometimes.  Saturday is water zumba and usually additional water exercise.  And off on Sunday.  That's about the best I can do.  It looks better on paper!  There's something planned for most nights, so if there's a problem, I'll have something planned for the next day (since I am the queen of excuses!).

Swimming and doing your own water exercise (or go to a trainer or PT for a plan) might be the best way to start, since the water supports your joints, and you can do it on your own schedule.  Find someplace with a therapy pool if you can -- just hanging in the warm water makes my back feel better!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

ruggie
on 2/4/13 12:25 pm - Sacramento, CA

Does it motivate you to know that you'll die years/decades earlier if you don't routinely exercise?

I've seen 80-year-olds playing tennis, and I've seen 80-year-olds confined to wheelchairs.  Something to think about.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

bandarella
on 2/4/13 2:19 pm - Bayonne, NJ
Revision on 06/19/12
I'm in the medical field. I'm aware of more than the average person. If it were that simple, I wouldn't have a problem. And it's not like I'm lying on a couch, popping Bon Bon's into my mouth. I work anywhere from 12-24 hours on any given day. I come home and collapse, and then the alarm goes off to do it again. I just can't seem to get the energy to do the 20 mins I should be doing.

Phyllis  

Kelly-AnneH
on 2/4/13 2:40 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Got a timer on your phone? Set it for 5 minutes and head out the door. You're allowed to turn around when it rings. I know that sounds pitifully small as a form of exercise, but it's a start, and a LOT of time it's getting started that is hard - keeping going isn't nearly as difficult. Besides - maybe 5 minutes out and the same back is where you are. You have to start where you are, not where someone else is.

I can walk for hours now, and I love it. I actually had a walking date with a girlfriend today and it was (gasp) fun! If you'd told me 6 months ago that I'd be saying that I'd have known you were lying.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Sleeveless
on 2/4/13 5:21 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

I've been a workaholic like you, and I urge you to remember that when that job is gone, you will have only yourself and your body to fall back on. Take care of your body first because you'll be in deep dodo if it doesn't keep working. Your bosses and coworkers will move on and you will end up regretting you gave up your health for them.

i also have arthritis and can imagine how much pain you must be in. I get in my cardio on a recumbent stationary bike. Maybe you can try one of those, with some thumping music on your iPod, to get yourself in the mood?

Exercise could even help you with some of your physical ailments! Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 465 views