My paranoia moment of the year... FITBIT

louisamay
on 1/31/13 8:43 pm, edited 1/31/13 8:51 pm
VSG on 04/27/12

I'm not typically any kind of conspiracy theorist and I don't typically follow the "Big Brother is Watching Us" kind of websites, but after seeing a video about how easily we sign up for free internet services without knowing how the info is being used, and that the uses might not have ANYTHING to do with the type service we think we're getting...

Does anybody know who actually owns and runs Fitbit?  Talk about a tracking device. I was astonished (pleasantly, I'll admit) to realize I don't even have to be logged into their site to get tracked.  My husband's old computer plays more nicely with their software than mine so I started out logging into his computer to update--but I don't even have to log in.  The software picks up my info and logs it even though it's logged into his account.  Somebody he works with has a fitbit and I can look at my husband's numbers in the middle of the day and see where he stands, even though he doesn't have the software on his work computer. His fitbit is communicating through somebody else's software.

Again, I don't really think there's anything wrong with this, but it does feel a teensy bit like Big Brother being able to track me even when I have no idea anybody is watching....

OoooWEEEEEooooo....!

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

Jenfur
on 1/31/13 9:35 pm
VSG on 06/25/12

I believe one of the selling points is that it wirelessly synchs to the computer as long as there is the wierdly named thing I can't remember plugged in. 

louisamay
on 1/31/13 10:05 pm
VSG on 04/27/12

This is true. I guess what surprised me is that the weirdly named thing wirelessly synchs any fitbit that goes near it, not just your own.

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

Jenfur
on 2/1/13 4:23 am
VSG on 06/25/12

It's a "dongle" that's the weirdly named thing, been driving me crazy all day now  LOL  All I remember is seeing the instructions telling me to insert the dongle and giggling like a school boy who heard his first dirty joke.

jlharrelson
on 2/1/13 1:01 pm
VSG on 07/30/12

I am wanting to get the new fitbit flex when it comes out this spring... so it just "picks up" my info?  that is way cool!  i love my fitness pal but sometimes it's a pain to log everything everyday.  any thoughts on fitbit that i would find helpful?

Edelge
on 2/1/13 2:00 pm
VSG on 04/02/13

I have the fitbit aria, their scale and love it.  However, having my weight transmitted every day makes me a bit nervous.  When I created my fitbit acct I had the option to log in with Facebook or manually register.  I imagined my weight being posted to my FB wall on accident and chose to create my account manually :) 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 129 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 379 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 415 views