Question for VSG vets re food plan

Kat1313
on 2/4/13 6:52 am - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13

Hi, all

I'm curious about what VSG'ers eat.  My friend had the sleeve done last May and has done wonderfully well.  She has lost over a hundred pounds and looks great.  She pretty much eats everything she ate before surgery - carbs, pizza, pasta, sweets, ice cream, desserts, mashed potatoes, etc., just in much smaller amounts, of course.  She only did Carnation Instant sugar free drinks (in place of protein shakes) for a few days after surgery.  She doesn't worry about protein grams or amounts of fluid she gets in.

I'm scheduled for RNY in March and my doc/nut has given us a pretty protein forward eating plan - protein first, then veggies if any room, and maybe a bite or two of carbs farther on out.  High intake of protein, 64 oz of fluids.

My friend is very happy with her surgery, her results, and what she is able to eat.  To be honest, what she eats definitely sounds much more appealing than the food plan my surgeon has given me and I'm tempted to switch surgeries.

So my question is, is it okay to eat like this after having the sleeve?  Are my friend's results typical?  Thanks for any info you can provide!

Emilyr0011
on 2/4/13 7:16 am
There's no way I could eat the way she eats - it would set off cravings which would in turn cause me to gain. Plus if she's eating a bunch of crap she's probably not getting proper nutrition. I hope I'm wrong, but in my opinion she's headed for regain & malnutrition issues.

Her eating plan is DEFINATELY not the norm for the vsg.

H - 5'4" SW 260 / CW 133 / GW 150 GOAL in 9 mo 11 days!

frisco
on 2/4/13 7:17 am

Just in general..... it doesn't sound "typical" for long term success...... impossible no..... just not typical......

The question would be if your friend has lost all the Excess Weight....... big difference from losing 100lbs. from 400 to 300 than 225 to 125

In general..... you can eat more foods with the sleeve than with an RNY

Your basic RNY eating plan that you listed is more inline with "typical" long term sleeve success....

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Jls8877
on 2/4/13 9:32 am
100% agree with this! Sounds like your friend is setting herself up for regain. This is way more mental and those food choices are what got many of us here in the first place. Just my opinion...
Jackie T.
on 2/4/13 9:34 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

You would probably be physically able to eat that food but the whole point of having the surgery is to get rid of the excess weight and use your tool to learn how to eat healthier.  At some point she will more than likely not have the restriction she has now and she will put all the weight back on.  I personally know people that have done it.  They lost it and then put it all back on.

You need to train yourself to eat healthier so that you can be at your healthiest for the rest of your life.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

maggienoella
on 2/4/13 6:02 pm
My doc told me before surgery that there are very many people *****gain all the weight. I said not me.
Well, I ate like your friend and regained all but 35 pounds. I did not learn. I regained 55 pounds. I was not at goal either.
I now am back to eating correctly and am losing.
Here's the thing...why would people (like me) think they can eat whatever they want just in smaller portions? This may work for awhile but usually not long term. The main reason, in my opinion, is because the type of foods we eat with that mindset are generally empty calories that don't keep us full for long so we have to eat more frequently since we can't eat that much at a time.
ruggie
on 2/4/13 12:15 pm - Sacramento, CA

I don't think your friend will get to goal, and will certainly not stay at all - will very likely regain.  Almost all of the people on here that I see eat the same foods but less end up regaining and then come back on here to cry about it.  An essential component of success is not only to eat less, but eat differently.  

Stick to your plan of high protein, protein first, veggies, carbs at maintenance, if you want to win in the long run.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

pineview01
on 2/4/13 12:21 pm - Davison, MI

My Sleeve food plan & the RNY also, is the same as what you posted to your RNY.

Nothing like what your friend is eating.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 2/4/13 2:01 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
No...your friend basically doesn't have a plan! She thinks the surgery can do the work for her. It may seem easy in the first year and even then I wonder what her starting weight was and what her goal weight is. It is definitely not at all typical to eat pasta, pizza, mashed potatos, sweets, ice cream...etc post VSG. Some folks can get away with more or less carbs, but carbs coming from dairy and vegetables, very little grain carbs and certainly not processed or white carbs.

This having been said, I don't want to predict doomsday for your friend. She may be a lucky exception.

I eat super well post VSG and I have had a bite of this or that carb here and there. I think I eat way better than before. Healthier, more thoughtful and tastier because I take the time to think about what I am eating and my limited 2.5 oz capacity means I have to pack flavor and nutrition in a smaller space.

Protein is the main stay. Water is super important. Veggies and low glycemic fruit are a part of my daily intake as are vitamins and calcium and of course exercise.... There really are no miracles in life. Well...almost.... But certainly not in this area! If you don't work at it it won't work for you.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Kelly-AnneH
on 2/4/13 2:52 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I eat in a more relaxed way that many here, but even I wouldn't expect to do especially well eating her way. I make sure I ALWAYS get in all of my protein, so there isn't a lot of calorie or sleeve space left for junk, I'm afraid.

I confess I've had everything on her list, but only in very small portions and only occasionally. I can't imagine eating sweets, pizza or pasta on a regular basis. (I'm greatly helped by the fact that Fred hates noodles and wasn't impressed with the 2 bites of pizza I ate...)

I do eat whole grains and some sort of fruit and/or veg every day, but protein is always first. Your body can get vitamins, minerals and even fibre from supplements, but not protein, and without protein we just don't do well...

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views