Fear about surgery? Here's my experience (as I responded to one post)

joannalu_1970
on 2/4/13 4:06 am - CA
VSG on 01/29/13

My fear was paralyzing, to say the least.  I cried at every doctor's appointment and every time I brought this surgery up to my family.  Last week, already dressed in my hospital gown and waiting for the procedure, I broke down repeatedly.  Had they not taken my clothes away, I would have dressed and fled the hospital.  My doctor had me WALK to the operating room, lay down on the table, and be awake while they strapped me down.  I swear, it felt like I was in front of a shooting range.  It was awful.  I understand this fear.  But, as the doctor assured me, this procedure is now routine.  They do this every day, several times a day.  My first 2-3 days were rough, I admit.  But today, less than a week after surgery, I'm back at work!!  I consider myself extremely lucky and grateful for having such a quick recovery (I'm also very stubborn).  Yes, I have soreness and some incision pain.  I haven't met my water/protein goal yet (getting close).  But I'm happy with this decision.  Today, less than a week out, I would do it all over again.  I feel like I've been given a gift that will save my life.  It will let me be the person I'm meant to be.  

Don't look back and push through the fear.  It's SO worth it!

RedStar98
on 2/4/13 4:13 am - Johnston, RI
VSG on 10/02/12

angry

(deactivated member)
on 2/4/13 4:14 am - WA

GREAT POST!!! Very encouraging!!! I have had three C sections, (two of them planned) and I know that feeling of "omgosh this is about to happen" and having everything in you say nooooo run!! 

Congrats on getting it done and over! 

(deactivated member)
on 2/4/13 4:33 am
Thanks for your message. This is really helpful. I am still in the deciding stage, though I'm pretty sure I'm going to do this. I'm not really afraid of the surgery itself, which kinda surprises me since I've never even had an IV or been in a hospital in my life. I'm worried about getting an embolism in the month afterwards and leaving kids without a mom. I see there are lots of moms of young kids on this sight. It makes me feel like I can do this.

Christine
zra
on 2/4/13 5:35 am
VSG on 02/06/13 with

Thanks! I'm having my surgery on Wednesday and am starting to get nervous!

HW: 363  SW: 340  

llLou
on 2/4/13 5:42 am - Halifax NS, Canada

Try not to be nervous. I had my VSG surgery in Mexico in November. It was the best decision I ever made. I literally had no pain just some nausea. Good luck!

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 2/4/13 5:43 am
VSG on 10/09/12
Same here. I was a nervous wreck. I didn't cry but I was terrified. Maybe the fear scared away my tears! I was truly not at all sure I would go through with it. Thank God I only walked to the operating room and got onto the table but did not get strapped to it while awake. That would have definitely led to a panic attack. I agree with you, best decision ever and would do it again a thousand times if I had to. Push through the fear. This saves lives.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

hshelley386
on 2/4/13 7:44 am - IN

I have some major fears myself, but mine are some really weird ones, like not getting enough anesthesia and feeling it and waking up during surgery....can't quit thinking about it!

raincloud
on 2/4/13 8:20 am

I'm glad that you're okay. I hope you had some good people with you to comfort you.

My VSG on the 19th. I didn't start to have any real fear until my surgery date was scheduled. Now I have a little fear. It's mostly anxiety. My biggest fear is really just going to sleep and waking up in pain. I know I won't like that. I heard the two days in the hospital is mostly gas pain and the discomfort of being thirsty and not being able to do anything about it. I can handle that, but the initial surprise, like hey wow it's done and OWWW! is what I am dreading. The only other time I have been under was for wisdom teeth and I just started balling about a second after I woke up.

pineview01
on 2/4/13 8:32 am - Davison, MI

WOW!  They walked you to the operating room.  I don't even remember leaving the pre-op room.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 391 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 422 views