Primary Care's Advice to me... Acid Reflux... I Need Other VSGer's advice.

Marcus C.
on 2/5/13 8:02 am

I went to see my PCP today for Blood pressure and weight checks for my insurance company.  She diagnosed me as having hypertension :(   I'm 26, 5'7, 251lbs.  I lost 9 pounds somehow...

I asked her about Gastric Surgery... She said no, she wouldn't recommend it.  Due to complications etc.  She told me that I wouldnt be able to live a normal life because after a few bites of food i'd be too full.  Wouldn't be able to enjoy eating normally because it's permanent.

Do any of you agree?  The surgeon said at 26 im the perfect age for this surgery... my prmiary care spoke against it.  I'm on the fence....  The hypertension is leading me more toward the surgery as im on meds for high blood pressure at 26!! that's scary to me.

Also I got the upper GI x-rays done and found I have acid reflux.. i don't have any  heart burn ever.. but can VSG cause trouble with acid reflux?

nieba
on 2/5/13 8:17 am - Rialto, CA
VSG on 09/04/12 with

Some times I wonder about some of these doctors out there.

I was diagnosed with hypertension when I was 21. I have been off and on HBP pills since then. Then about 4-5 years ago I was diagnosed with GERD (severe acid reflux). I had my surgery this past September. Now, I would be the first one to admit that I too was scared that my GERD was going to get worse and I would be hating life. It did not go away (at least not yet), but I have different symptoms now. I was getting attacks from certain foods before, now it is a regular acid feeling I get like I have an acid throat. Pop in one of my PPI pills and within about 30 mins to an hour I am fine.

My honest opinion is get yourself a second opinion from a different primary. Every surgery has its own complications that COULD arise. Do your research and ASK, ASK, ASK. It sounds too much like your primary is giving her personal opinion and not advice from a doctor.

As for the High Blood Pressure, losing weight will bring it down. As for getting off of them completely, it is up to your body.

Good Luck!

Jennifer B.
(Can't wait to meet the new me!)

HW: 288  SW: 270.2   CW: 199.8  GW: 170-180   Hgt: 5'10" 

Marcus C.
on 2/5/13 8:25 am

well I asked her why SHOULDNT i have the surgery.  she said "because you can do it without it" lol but i feel like everyone could do it without it...   so thats why im confused

Nikke2003
on 2/5/13 12:02 pm - PA
VSG on 05/13/13
Sometimes doctors seem to really try to simplify the issue. In 2005, my PCP at the time told me I was young enough to lose 100 excess lbs and that it was "simple...eat less and exercise.. my wife and I are physicians with two kids and we can manage to be healthy,so there is no reason you can't find the time..."

Well... now 7 years and 170 MORE lbs later...I'm finally in a place where I have a supportive PCP, I'm taking control of my health, and holding myself accountable and I haven't even had surgery yet.

I think some self-reflection would be helpful. Get super honest with yourself and ask the tough question of whether or not you truly can do this 100% on your own? I wish I had done that self reflection much earlier... clearly you can see what my answer would have been....I have lost about 7 years...

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Kelly-AnneH
on 2/5/13 12:23 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Yes, you could lose the weight without surgery. Many here have - more than once. The big difference isn't being able to lose weight, although I have to tell you it's SO much easier when you aren't ravenous all the time and you have limited capacity.

The difference is that instead of a 2-5% chance of KEEPING it off you have anywhere from 40-75%, depending on which studies you read. Of course your chance of keeping it off depends on whether or not you're prepared to make permanent changes in what you eat, how much you eat, and how you relate to food.

Isn't that worth it right there? After all, what unpleasant and difficult task would you take on if you knew you only had a 2-5% of success?

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

juddfan1974
on 2/5/13 8:27 am - TN
VSG on 07/02/12

Will you be able to live a normal life at 5'7" and 251 lbs?  I'm not being rude to you I'm just pointing out the flaw in the doctor's logic.  Now I will tell you that it won't be easy.  It takes a lot more than just a surgical procedure.  You will have to take vitamins for the rest of your life,  you will have to workout, you will have to not snack, I strongly recommend going to support groups, and I am sure there are a number of things I have forgotten.  I think her description is a little dramatic as well.  You will be able to eat more than a few bites of food.  Your idea of what a regular portion size is so you might look at what someone eats after surgery and think of it as eating next to nothing.  However, it is probably a normal portion size.  I had surgery on July 2nd and I can eat 4-5 ozs of protein and a cup of steamed veggies.  Both are normal portion sizes.  As for the type of surgery...I love my sleeve but gastric bypass works well for lots of people as well.  I would avoid the lap band.

juddfan1974
on 2/5/13 8:32 am - TN
VSG on 07/02/12

You should also ask her if she has ever struggled with weight?  I suspect she hasn't or she would be more understanding of the challenges of losing weight.  My primary care physician actually recommended the surgery to me.  I was hesitant because I had no health issues such and high blood pressure, diabetes, etc.  He said do it now it will be easier on you now rather than later.  Why wait until you have health issues that could make the surgery riskier and the recovery harder. 

Pollyanna16
on 2/5/13 8:52 am
VSG on 12/28/12

you need a new pcp....if you read these posts, once in a blue moon does someone regret getting sleeved. most everyone will say its the best thing i ever did for myself 

Marcus C.
on 2/5/13 9:04 am

can you tell me what has changed about your diet since  you've been sleeved? 

Do you just eat less or how does it work?

Pollyanna16
on 2/5/13 11:13 am
VSG on 12/28/12

I used to be so addicted to sugar, now the thought of eating any make me feel yuck!! I only eat a very small amount, 2oz of meat and maybe a slice of cheese., or maybe 5 oz of yogurt. I used to be a compulsive overeater. Now it's great, I never think about food, I eat my meals, I'm done. Your tastes change after this surgery, you just don't want it.I basically follow Atkins, just cut out a little fat when I can.. I fell so good about my self words can't explain.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 446 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 466 views