6 month surgiversary and it's a new life

lala285
on 2/6/13 2:26 pm - OK
VSG on 08/06/12

Today's my 6 month surgiversary. Month 5 I didn't lose as much as I'd wanted, but this month I lost 9 pounds and I am happier with that. The only negative is I have definitely experienced hair loss during months 5 and 6. Most people don't notice because I luckily had thick hair to start with, but it is unbelievable how much hair is in the shower drain. I'm hoping the hair loss slows down in the next month or so.

I'm down 95 pounds from my highest recorded weight, and down 77 pounds since surgery day. I feel fantastic. I have experienced a lot of the typical NSVs, and SVs, that everyone else mentions. You better believe I took a picture of the scale when I entered one-derland! mail I love being able to cross my legs with ease, tie my shoes without feeling like I'm going to die, I feel like I can actually call myself athletic again, clothes fit better, I sleep better, I'm more confident and I'm just overall happier. It's not just about looking skinny, really it's about feeling HEALTHY. When you're healthy, you're happy, and when you're happy you feel like you can conquer the world. I still have down days, and make not the best food choices, but now I power through and keep moving in positivity rather than letting my slip-ups consume me. Overall, I'm quite diligent. I am almost always prepared with healthy snacks, drink plenty of water, focus on protein, I exercise 5-6 days a week (I've discovered I love kickboxing and Zumba and just started a couch to 5K running program), I am diligent about taking my vitamins and supplements, and I prepare healthy foods to bring to work every day.

I hope this is inspiring to pre-surgery people. You can do this. Commit to a routine, plan for the inevitable things that will pop up in life to derail your routine, and you'll be successful.

Here's to the next 6 months and to being one of those VSG vets here on the boards in maintenance in 3-5 years still maintaining my weight loss! Eyes on the prize!!!

HW: 291   SW: 273   CW: 168  GW: 153

M1: -22 lbs   M2: -18 lbs  M3: -13 lbs  M4: -10 lbs  M5: -5 lbs   M6: -9 lbs  M7: -5 lbs  M8: -9 lbs  M9: -10 lbs  M10: +3 lbs M11: ? M12: -2 lbs  Stair-step loser.

Sleeveless
on 2/6/13 4:59 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

You are such an inspiration. Congratulations!

VerucaSallt
on 2/6/13 9:36 pm - NJ
VSG on 10/11/12 with

Congrats!!!  I love the peony, BTW.  My favorite flower :D

Married2005
on 2/7/13 12:30 am - NJ

Hey you - Dr Wasser will be my surgeon too!  I didnt notice that in your earlier post!  I had to switch my decision from DS to the Sleeve because of my insurance.  I was concerned that I have exercise challenges but I have faith.  Dr W's office appears to me to be very proactive and I believe I will have the support I need to be successful.  Do you have any advice for someone like me who is waiting for my final approval.  Tina said surgery will probably be scheduled for March.  I am so excited and anxious.  Any help you can share would be great for me.

VerucaSallt
on 2/7/13 12:52 am - NJ
VSG on 10/11/12 with

Awesome!

The big thing is to have all your questions prepared ahead of time.  As you've probably noticed Dr. Wasser runs a VERY busy practice.  While he will take the time to explain the basics and address concerns, beyond that you need to ask.  Like, I had no idea about the different sized pouches going in.  I would've loved to know what size he was planning on making for me and how that would affect my results.  I think it's the perfect size for me because I've had GREAT success, but it's one of those things looking back I would've like to have known.

The roadmap he gives you... freaking laminate it if you can!  I followed that and had a very easy time following everything... just be sure to follow it and you'll have great results. 

Are you having your surgery at Virtua?  I did and I can tell you the nurses there SUCK.  I asked Dr. Wasser ahead of time about my post op pain mgmt and he told me I would have a morphine pump.  After the surgery I did not have one and it was an EXCRUCIATING 8 hours before I finally got it. I was lied to and given every excuse under the sun when bottom line the nurses weren't doing their jobs.  I know because my good friend who was a nurse at that same hospital had to come to bat for me... she was shocked by their incompetence.  She had to change my catheter bag, replace my fluids and even empty the drain because the nurses were just doing something else I guess, and she's retired!!! Just make sure you are VERY clear if you need something and if possible have someone stay with you to advocate on your behalf.  THat is the 3rd bad experience I've had at that hospital because of the nursing staff.

VerucaSallt
on 2/7/13 12:53 am - NJ
VSG on 10/11/12 with

Oh, and it's good you picked Dr. Wasser over Dr. Greenbaum.  Dr. Greenbaum is well known to be a less than stellar surgeon - and that's coming from my local friends in the medical community.  He's been subject of a few lawsuits.

mildollarsmile
on 2/6/13 10:06 pm - SE, TX
VSG on 03/11/13

Congratulations!! Such an inspirations!! Keep up the great work!!

Melanie -- HW:320 SW:300 CW:277.2 GW:150 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 114 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 338 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 387 views