Dumb food question

SurgeryLori
on 2/8/13 7:53 am - Canada

What are grits and should I be eating them? If so how do you cook them? I am looking to add grains to my diet.

mary d
on 2/8/13 8:01 am

Grits are dried ground corn.  Is it on your food plan?  I love them, but they are nothing but carbs and not all that nutritious.  If you've never had them, you won't miss them if you don't start eating them.

Lap Band 2006  

VSG 2008

SurgeryLori
on 2/8/13 8:13 am - Canada

I have been told by my nut to add grains. Bread and pasta bother my sleeve so just looking for options. Funny thing is I dont want to eat these carbs but am trying to follow the experts advise. She also wants me to be eating at least 1200 cals a day and thats not going to happen!

mary d
on 2/8/13 8:26 am

What about brown rice?  Grits are refined carbs.  There is polenta which is whole grain ground corn.  It is usually prepared, then topped with marinara and some cheese.  You could always have some oatmeal for breakfast.  Don't do the instant kind though.

Lap Band 2006  

VSG 2008

AppyGrl
on 2/8/13 8:56 am
VSG on 01/23/13

Grits- Girls Raised in the South HAHAHAHA

Like the person before said, if you have never had them you won't miss them.  They are loaded with Carbs and not much nutritional value.

mickeymantle
on 2/8/13 9:13 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

oatmeal is a good chose will keep you going

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

cindysteffinich
on 2/8/13 9:17 am

My dietician told me to eat Quinoua.  It's an alternative to rice and has more protein.  Taste good a little nutty flavor.  I buy it at Costco.  Comes in a green bag.  You can find it by the rice. A friend eats it for breakfast as a hot cereal.   She puts fresh fruit and coconut milk n it.  Haven't tried it that way but I put salsa on it.  This was prior to my surgery.  I haven't been able to eat it yet.  I'm still on stage 2 diet.

YSIC,

Cindy

SurgeryLori
on 2/8/13 9:34 am - Canada

Sounds like a resounding no to grits. I do eat steel cut oats for breakfast almost every day but no grains or starches other than that.

Crabadams72
on 2/8/13 10:03 am - Silver Spring, MD
How far out are you?

1200 is a lot unless you work out alot or you're close to goal.

p.s---google has a lot of answers : )
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views