Protein Soup Options?

swizzlequeen
on 2/12/13 4:15 am

Hello Friends!!

I've been experimenting with alternatives to sweet protein shakes.

Unjury unflavored worked well in my morning coffee.

Bariatric advantage makes a line called KetogenX -- I guess it's a weight loss system -- it includes a vegetable soup based on pea protein-- for me, it has a mild flavor and I like the texture-- kinda grainy, potato-y. Very satisfying. 110 calories, 2 g fat, 3 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 20 g protein. Yes, sodium is 785 mg, but my dietician says that since I eat very very low sodium (she says that a low sodium diet is considered to be about 2300 mg per day) that there is no problem with me using this, maybe even twice a day.

Right now I am taking my first-ever sips of Unjury Chicken Soup -- also very pleasant, satisfying. 100 calories, 0 g fat, 2 g carbohydrate, 0 g fiber, 1 g sugar, 21 g protein, 770 mg sodium.

Hooray! Maybe I WILL be able to do this protein-only thing for two weeks before surgery! (will start Feb 25).

Do any of you know of any other soup or savory un-sweet options for protein? There does not seem to be much when I search online.

Thanks! :)

Linda B.
on 2/12/13 4:18 am - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

While not really a soup, we used unflavored protein in Trader Joe's veggie juice in the beginning. Now, we don't drink juice, it is better to eat the veggies, but when you are doing liquids and are tired of sweet, it works.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

novascotiadawn
on 2/12/13 4:34 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I used to boil a chicken down, add carrots and onions! and puree the BAZINGAAAAAA out of it!!!! It was sooooo tasty!!!

Hugs

Donna

Leaky sleeve survivor!!! 2008/2009 ~ 5'7"~ 42F Bougie

Sleeveless
on 2/12/13 5:31 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Check out MyBariatricPantry.com and DietDirect.com. They both have protein soups, as well as other sleeve friendly foods you can try when you get to the solids stage.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 82 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 298 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 346 views