Trip to NYC any suggestions?

TNERNURSE
on 2/15/13 12:16 pm

Family is planning trip to NYC in a few weeks to celebrate mine and husband's 50th birthday. This will be my first flight in years and our first trip to NYC. Looking forward to no seatbelt extender! Any travel tips would be appreciated. I know I will get plenty of exercise. We are staying approximately 2 blocks from Time Square. I don't want to spend a fortune on my food and have a lot go to waste but also need to get my protein intake in. Do plan to splurge on a nice dinner before going to Broadway show. 

kathyslife3
on 2/15/13 1:43 pm - CA

Cant help you much, have a great time take lots of pick, oh yeah take me

losetowinnow
on 2/15/13 3:19 pm

Pack your protein packs with you and mix into bottles of water and sip all day as you are out sightseeing.  Nibble on protein bars and then have a nice sensible meal once a day. There are lots of delis and small stores where you can buy fresh fruit or yogurt, you'll be fine!!! Have fun

Fallenangel2904
on 2/15/13 4:10 pm - NY
VSG on 11/14/12

There's a chain called Dallas BBQ here and there is one in Time Sq. The best bang for your buck protein for me is their quarter chicken- It's basically rotisserie chicken, you can order it with a salad and it comes with a piece of corn bread (which you can give to your husband perhaps) its very affordable and one meal there will be easily two if you can bring them back to the hotel. Would be a good lunch spot. For dinner, honestly Time Sq is a bit of a tourist trap. Go over to 46th street which is restaurant row if your looking for a nice restaurant. One of my favorite places is Brazil Brazil grill, but not sure what you would order post op since I haven't been there post sleeve yet. If you like Thia food there is also a really good Thia place on 9th avenue- not a far walk from Times Square at all- called Yum Yum. Their duck salad is deli****ake a look at the menus online, you can figure out what would be a good choice before you go. I never go out to eat these days without looking at an online menu first.

Also there are delis all over the place if your in need of a quick something in between and a lot of them carry muscle milk. Look around the refrigerated sections.

Good luck and enjoy your trip here!

Robin- Post Op- Surgery November 14th 2012
HW:379 SW:359 CW:272 GW:199

msgypsylee
on 2/15/13 10:27 pm

My advice, stay away from the touristy time square restaurants and delve down the side streets. There are a zillion tiny hole in the wall restaurants that are fabulous. Use Yelp to help if you are looking for a specific type of cuisine. There are tons of places to get a high protein shake.

Remember when walking around the city, anything for sale on the street is negotiable. Never pay what they ask. If you don't get the price you want you probably will the next block down. Also everything is a little more pricey around times square.

How long will you be in the city? Do you have tickets to a show yet? You can get same day tickets at the TKTS  booth in Times Square. Not sure if you're a subway person but don't be afraid to try the subway. You will see some interesting characters for sure but its the cheapest way to get around. Cabs are pricey. Its a great walking city though. Remember 20 blocks = a mile.

Also New Yorkers are much friendlier than their reputation says they are. If you get turned around or lost ask someone. I love love love Manhattan. One of the things I am looking forward to most when I lose this weight is shopping in the city.

What else are you planning to do when you get there?

kkirksy1
on 2/16/13 12:52 am

I love NYC...me and my sister are going Memorial Day Weekend. It will be my 4th trip to NYC.

I too will need to pre-plan meals, but plan on a nice dinner.

I recommend the Staten Island Ferry it's free!. Ride it back and forth for  views of the city that are awesome.. and you get pretty close to the Statue of Liberty for photos etc.

For me, the Top of Rock was amazing. Spectacular view of Central Park and nice to relax up there.

I love Chinatown...but if you visit restaurants I would not eat any dish with meat. I ordered a beef and broccoli dish my first visit and the beef was questionable. It was a weird texture and overall icky. Experienced this at another restaurant as well. My dad says it was beef but probably parts we don't usually eat...twice was enough to make me a cynic. Stick with rice and seafood.

Ok...I am from Chicago so I'm a little a rough around the edges and I eat street food. Some people don't like buying food from trucks or vendors on the corner with a grill, but some of it is good stuff. Looking for protein...grab a kabob from a street vendor.

Then there is the subways...from experience get online and try to get familiar with the subway in advance. Coming from Chicago where I am use to subway trains and public transportation....NYC subway system gave me a run for my money.

Don't forget COMFY SHOES. After my first trip to NYC I felt like I got hit by a mack truck when I got home. Lot's of hustle and bustle, walking, and standing (subway is always crowed and seats are scarce)

Other than that, like others have said Time Square is a tourist trap if there ever was one. Everything is overpriced. There are lots of places to grab a bite. You will be able to find something!

Have Fun!

Christine M.
on 2/16/13 5:20 am
VSG on 04/10/13

If anyone in your group has an i-phone, download the app Hop Stop.  Will tell you how to get anywhere in the city by bus or subway.  The subway stop for the staten island ferry got washed out by hurricane sandy, not sure how to get down there anymore.  Lots of places to eat in/near times square.  Ask to see menus, there are always choices.  Definitely check out the TKTS booth for discount broadway show tickets.  Have fun!!

swizzlequeen
on 2/16/13 6:12 am

Another bit of advice for a  wonderful wonderful freebie -- check out Big Apple Greeters -- these are New Yorkers who volunteer to show visitors around town -- you can suggest where you would like to go, but the most interesting thing to do in my opinion is to go where the greeter suggests -- that way, I have visited neighborhoods that I never would have thought to go to -- I learn a lot about the city that way. The greeter visits are about 2 hours or so. NO CHARGE. They don't even accept tips, but I think that they may be allowed to let you buy them lunch or a cup of coffee...the two or three times I have done it, the greeter gave me a free one-day subway pass, and showed me how to use the subway if I wanted to. Very helpful indeed! New Yorkers of course love their city and this is a great way to see it thru the eyes of a local...I think they like to have a 2 week notice before your arrival, so there may still be time to make a reservation...I don't remember the website address, but if you put Big Apple Greeters NYC into your fave search engine, I bet it will take you right to the website.

Do it!! Have fun!!]

Oh -- and visit the High Line Park -- Friends of the High Line has free of charge tours which are so interesting -- check out the website for details, not sure if the tours are in season yet, but even if not, it is definitely worth a visit...and if you are into Yoga, there is a lovely new Yoga studio at the 30th streeet entrance to the High Line,,,I did some classes there when I was in NYC early December...it is called Yoga216.

My FAVORITE form of exercise, right next to ice skating, is walking (and walking!!) in Manhattan!:)

TNERNURSE
on 2/16/13 7:14 am

Thanks for all the tips ! I will definitely look up the restaurants on trip advisor. We have several parks we want to visit in addition to Central Park, High Line, Bryant Park and Grant's Tomb . I'm sure  we wont be able to see everything we want in 4 days but going to pack in a lot. No one goes to NYC to rest! I want to see Lion King so I have heard they never have those tickets discounted. Would love to take the Ferry ride and visit at least one museum. My husband does want to go to Chinatown and the Today Show. Observation deck is on my list . If time allows Brooklyn Bridge. I have not flown in years and went on line to review liquid restrictions. I thought I could pack a few Premier protein RTD shakes. It said they allow baby formula , etc. So I figure a few  shakes should be o.k.  

jubjub
on 2/16/13 8:21 am - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12

Best VSG friendly meal in my opinion are the ubiquitous street carts that sell middle eastern grilled chicken!  Cheap, tasty and all protein.  Throw away the pita though!

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 306 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 351 views