Complications/ side effects with VSG?

huntgirl1991
on 2/15/13 1:56 pm

I'm currently seeking a revision from a evil band to another surgery and was wondering what everyone has experienced as far as common side effects and complications are? My biggest problem with the band is vomiting which I do almost everyday sometimes so bad that blood vessels burst all over my face. How common is vomiting after VSG? I want to make sure tat which ever urgery I pick that this is my last one!

Pjb1967
on 2/16/13 3:15 am
Has never happened to me. 4 1/2 months out.
Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 2/16/13 3:36 am
VSG on 10/09/12
I haven't had any complications at all...not even hair loss. I am 4.5 months out. The only side effects so far are not being able to eat more than 2-3 oz of dense protein or really any food, and the second one is not feeling hunger. At all. Oh yeah.. There is a third one. Losing weight! People say surgery isn't magic and I get it. We have to stay vigilant. But it sort of is! At least I feel the magic.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

ruggie
on 2/16/13 4:55 am - Sacramento, CA

I have had no side effects, and I have never vomited since my VSG.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Kelly-AnneH
on 2/16/13 5:18 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I've vomited a few times when I've eaten a bit too much or the food is too dry and it isn't at all like you describe. More of a spitting up - no acid, no nastiness, just the "unswallowing" of saliva and that last bite or 2. Instant relief, no broken blood vessels or anything else bad.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

angelladyclaire
on 2/16/13 9:41 am - MO

I vomited 4 or 5 times in the hospital after surgery due to taking meds, drinking the contrast for my swallow study, etc. Have not vomited at all since coming home. Just sleeved on 2-13. 

HW: 283   SW: 262  Height: 5'4''  Surgery:​ 2/13/13

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

pineview01
on 2/16/13 9:52 am - Davison, MI

I already had my evil band out.  I too had the vomiting and reflux so bad I was waking up at night.

I had the band out 9/4/12 and was sleeved 1/22/14.  I take two PPI's a day just like the mad me do the first year after banding.  The ONLY nausea I've had since being sleeved is from my vitamins.  I changed brads a few days and I realize I have to take the new ones while eating.  Other than that nothing.  I'm only a month out but from what I understand this is the most restriction I will every have and have not thrown up.  The sleeve is heaven after the band.  I have also hit my lowest that I ever reached with the band and like I said I'm almost one month out.

I took much research and sole searching before getting this surgery as we have a once in a lifetime WLS policy and I had to fight to get this one last chance.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

grannymedic1
on 2/16/13 9:55 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

I revised from band to sleeve in Aug. and had a harder recuperation than most but looking back on it I realize that I would have had the same situation no matter what the surgery because for some reason I became very swollen inside after the band came out. That and it was just a bunch of weird stuff. There has been no other trouble and I feel that my choice of the sleeve was the best for me. Once I got rid of the swelling there was no more vomiting.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

MacMadame
on 2/16/13 2:23 pm - Northern, CA

The only time I vomit is if I eat too much. Which at 4.5 years out is pretty rare. Oh and once when I had the flu. mail

Btw, my friends who had a band and then a sleeve say the sleeve is like a band that actually works. If that helps at all.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 100 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 324 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 368 views