Food ... Is It Spoiled?

Calking
on 2/15/13 3:37 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

Spoiled Food: How do guys know if something has gone bad?

Eggs

When something starts pecking its way out of the shell, the egg is probably past its prime.

Dairy Products

Milk is spoiled when it starts to look like yogurt.

Yogurt is spoiled when it starts to look like cottage cheese.

Cottage cheese is spoiled when it starts to look like regular cheese.

Regular cheese is spoiled when you think it is blue cheese but you realize you've never purchased that kind.

Bread

Sesame seeds and Poppy seeds are the only officially acceptable "spots" that should be seen on the surface of any loaf of bread. Fuzzy and hairy looking white or green growth areas are a good indication that your bread has turned into a pharmaceutical laboratory experiment.

Flour

Flour is spoiled when it wiggles.

Canned Goods

Any canned goods that have become the size or shape of a softball should be disposed of carefully.

Carrots

A carrot in which you can tie a clove hitch is not fresh.

Raisins

Raisins should not be harder than your teeth.

Potatoes

Fresh potatoes do not have roots, branches, or dense, leafy undergrowth.

Chip Dip

If you can take it out of its container and bounce it on the floor, it has gone bad.

Unmarked Items

You know it is well beyond it’s prime when you're tempted to discard the plastic container along with the food. Generally speaking, plastic containers should not burp when you open them.

P.S.  This was written by my friend Dave Schronce.  He has a website with some great weight loss friendly recipes ...

http://www.schronce.net/forum/list.php?53

Enjoy

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

SuzyNZ
on 2/15/13 3:43 pm
VSG on 09/17/12

lol....funny!

No chance of me eating spoiled food.  Im such a princess, I dont even eat day old bread (well I dont eat any bread anymore, but pre-surgery).  Slightly limp lettuce....rubbish bin.

But I work with a guy who ate a cupcake someone gave him for christmas....2 weeks ago.  Yip, it was over a month old!!!  I just about puked!!!

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

mary d
on 2/15/13 7:04 pm

Very funny!  It breaks my heart to throw away all of those plastic containers with dubious contents.  I have way more leftovers these days since I eat less and don't have to pack lunch anymore.  I am a recycle fiend, but I don't want to see or smell anything that has started it's own garden in my fridge.

And those damn pantry moths.  It's like a horror show in your box of oatmeal!

Lap Band 2006  

VSG 2008

Cuter_w_Curves
on 2/15/13 11:54 pm - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

Chip clips... Plastic containers... Freezers.

Yep yep...they are your friends!

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views