Running my way to success!

erikalea1970
on 2/18/13 7:39 am - NJ
VSG on 06/11/12

Just wanted to share a super-positive change in my life.  I am 8 months post-surgery, and have been doing well overall, but since I started training for a 5K last month by adopting a running program every other day, my weight is dropping faster than since the first 2 months post-surgery!  Of course most of my "runs" are a combination of running and walking...I read that new runners are most frequently derailed by pushing too hard, so I try to push myself when it feels right (aka challenging but still fun) and ease up when I start hating what I'm doing.  But using an iPhone app called RunKeeper, I can track my pace and distance every time I go out and it's been very motivating.  And of course, 9 months ago I couldn't even imagine in my wildest dreams ever wanting to run!!!  I was just walking on a regular basis and one day felt like speeding things up.....

Best wishes to everyone on their respective journeys, and thanks for letting me share.  :)

- Erika

"Failure is not an option" - Apollo 13   

(deactivated member)
on 2/18/13 7:44 am - Worcester, MA
VSG on 02/25/13

This is great!!!! Keep it up!!!!

TSinNC
on 2/18/13 7:58 am
VSG on 08/16/12

Awesome! Keep up the great work!

fooh.pngTina

Follow my journey at www.TinaRebooted.com  Blog, Recipes, Product Reviews, and more!

magavik70
on 2/18/13 9:51 am

That's fantastic!!  I can't wait to start running.  I mean, I hate running, but know how good it is for me so in that sense I can't wait.  :)  When did you start?  I'm afraid of starting too soon with too much weight stress on my knees and ankles.  I look forward to hearing about your successes!

erikalea1970
on 2/18/13 12:00 pm - NJ
VSG on 06/11/12

I started in December just adding a little bit of running to my regular walk - maybe 30 seconds of running every so often, not much!  I think at that point I was around 190 pounds (and I am not tall, about 5'3"). When I started going regularly I did start to have some shin pain, but a friend suggested I stretch out my hamstrings and that has helped a lot.  

"Failure is not an option" - Apollo 13   

sarapilar
on 2/18/13 11:22 am, edited 2/18/13 11:22 am
VSG on 02/21/13

Huge congrats!!!  I have a healed broken ankle (a very severe injury with tons of metal and bolts in my right leg!), and I think I was told I will never run again, but it would be awesome if I could.

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

themexcellentone
on 2/18/13 11:34 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with

that is great!  I hope you keep posting about your running progress.  One of the things I would love to do once I am sleeved and have lost a great deal of weight is to start running.  I am too afraid to start now as my knees are in terrible shape.  But I really, really want to be a runner!

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 200 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 282 views