How long after surgery did you star feeling better?

deemyers
on 2/25/13 10:12 am
VSG on 02/05/13

I am 15 days out and quite honestly, have not felt up to par since the surgery. Grantd, it does get a little bit better, but the fatigue is almost debilitating. I am not used to this. I feel frustrated, since most of the people who have had surgery at the same time as I are all feeling "great!" While I am still feeling crappy. Is this normal? How long did it take you vets to feel better?

HopeFaith
on 2/25/13 10:24 am - TX
VSG on 12/28/12

Honestly, I felt better the following Wednesday (surgery was on Friday after Christmas) that is when I went off the pain medication. I was fatigued until I stopped taking meds (I don't take medication so that sent me for a flip). I did get more energy the more protein I got in - haven't had a nap in weeks. (That's me). 

artmaker
on 2/25/13 10:31 am
VSG on 12/20/12 with
I felt dizzy and fatigued until week six. If there is one thing that absolute positively helped it was getting my protein in. Hope you recuperate faster than me!

"Only the noble of heart are called to difficulty"

-Soren Kierkegaard

joanna_1961
on 2/25/13 10:39 am - McKinney, TX

I'm 4 weeks out and I noticed that I was feeling much better after 2 weeks.  I did still tire easy though.  So far this week I'm doing even better...I cleaned my garage over the weekend and had to remind myself that I was recovering from major surgery...  Give yourself a little more time. :)

Joanna

KELLY H.
on 2/25/13 10:44 am - Greenbrier, TN
VSG on 12/26/12

Around day 10 I started feeling better. I was dizzy and tired and I felt like I would never feel better but once you start getting in enough liquids and calories,  you pep up a bit. I have 4 kids and a job so my down time was cut considerably down. I was washing dishes the day after I came home and laundry the day after. 

It does get better!

MacMadame
on 2/25/13 11:39 am - Northern, CA

Yeah, all these people who go back to work a few days after surgery mystify me. I went back at 1.5 weeks and was laying my head down on the desk every afternoon for a few days.

For me, I found the recovery process was gradual put also that it was kind of a stairstep. So I'd have a lot of energy one day and be tired the next. I felt really strange the first month and less strange the next month and had a big breakthrough at 3 months and by 6 months out, I was pretty  much recovered in every day.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

(deactivated member)
on 2/25/13 11:51 am
VSG on 06/04/12

For me, it was week 4 before I started feeling less fatigued and more like myself.  I remember thinking in week 3 that I would never make it back to work because it was taking all my energy to even take a shower.  By week 6 I was back to normal.  I should say that I'm 54 yrs old and I think the older you are you need just a touch more time to recover.

carebear32958
on 2/25/13 12:02 pm
VSG on 08/16/12

Wow, I feel like superwoman here! I took 2 weeks off from work thinking I needed it and really after about a week I was going stir crazy.  But after 3 days of laying around and resting I cut off my pain meds and made myself get up and about to get some light exercise.  Mostly walking.  But everyone is different.  Are you taking vitamins?  I noticed a huge differnce when I started taking my b-12.   I still notice a difference if I forget to take it.  Hang in there, it will get better :)

Kari

hope2013
on 2/25/13 12:19 pm - Philadelphia, PA
I'm 25 days post op & I'm exhausted. I still feel tired, fatigue & I too wonder when ill feel better. I'm glad I took a month off work that's for sure. Feel better.
Sleeveless
on 2/25/13 5:26 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

I really didn't feel like I was actually a normal human being again till five, almost six weeks out. And I started feeling worse during the first few weeks because I was getting dehydrated. Getting my liquids in helped, but really it just took time.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 47 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 47 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 203 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 287 views