This was a test of my emergency VSG system...was it only a test? (long)

sheranfour
on 3/6/13 8:39 am, edited 3/6/13 8:44 am

Hey guys!

So today was almost comical...but bottom line, I was tested...and survived on plan!

I just gotta share it...so if you're not interested...feel free to move on..for those who have nothing better to do:

I have had a crappy few weeks. Very stressed out, but plowing thru. I'm very fortunate to be working with an awesome crew...and our Administrator sent us to an all day conference to chill out, relax, and learn some interesting stuff.

Usually I plan plan plan away...and go fully prepped. HOWEVER...I was so stoked about not going in today...that I just couldn't get the kids out the door fast enough and get on the road. So I got my tunes blaring...singing a happy song...then PANIC! I forgot to pack dry protein as back up! Forgot my RTD! Forgot my bottle of water! ARG!!

BUT... I don't really sweat it because I've been to enough of these to know the deal. Breakfast...which is always traditional...eggs...CHECK! Tea/water...CHECK! Only...NO CHECK!! No no no! Breakfast was a CARBFEST!!! Not a single protein!!! A 30 foot long table of bagels, pastry, muffins!! One big fruit plate. OK...I can do this. Make a cup of tea, take a water bottle...and some fruit. I can do this. So I eat...while my table eats their junk. 10:30 break...more of the same...but I'm not having more fruit...so I stick with water.

Yep...I'm starving by the time its 11:30. Lunch is for 12 and I realize my friend can hear my stomach. I tell her that I'm so hungry that I think my stomach is going to eat itself...and we both start laughing...everyone stares...so we try to be quiet. She goes to the bathroom, comes back and tells me lunch is set up...SANDWICHES AND CHIPS!!!! And she tells me all with mayo...tuna, chicken salad...etc. I flip! We decide we're going to leave at lunch and find something I can eat. Luckily...there was a platter with turkey sanwiches...so I wiped off the mayo...stripped off the bread and ate the turkey. Way too fast. I can't eat the cherry tomatoes I stole off the garnish ...and my sleeve is yelling at me that I ate too fast.

Of course I was hungry again soon after because I ate too fast and once it cleared my sleeve...ugh. So...more water and hot tea. Waited for the afternoon snack...praying for fruit. Heeeeeeck No!!! Two huge platters of cookies!!! For real???!!!

I watched the clock...got my tail out on time...ran to the store and got my RTD...drank it warm...but it tasted sooooooo good!

What did I learn??? Don't get swept up in the moment...plan, plan, plan. Always have some dry protein in your bag...always. And don't EVER assume you'll be all set at ANY event. Because you're not.

Thank goodness I survived. I feel stronger for it...and it made for some fun laughs among my team...I took it in stride because...heck...what else are you gonna do? You gotta find a way to deal with these life changes that we chose when we chose WLS...no matter what situation you find yourself in...

So thanks for listening...hope you got a smile from my day.

Now back to your regularly scheduled VSG post reading...

Peace all!

~Deb

Not MY will, but HIS. Not MY time, but HIS.    
jenn227
on 3/6/13 8:51 am - NJ
VSG on 03/26/13

Well, I'm stressed just reading this lol!  Good for you for getting through this & creating a plan for next time!!

Jenn   Highest weight: 278. Starting weight: 275. Surgery weight: 253. Month 1: 25 lbs. Month 2: 8.8 lbs. Month 3: 12.6 lbs. Month 4: 7 lbs. Onederland 7/29/2013. Month 5: 7 lbs. Month 6: 5 lbs. Months 7-9: self-induced maintenance, then 5 lb gain.

sheranfour
on 3/6/13 9:06 am

Sorry Jenn! Didn't mean to stress you!

I did have a moment or two of " what the heck am I gonna do now??!!"...But there is one thing I always take with me: "This too shall pass". I never leave home without it!

mail

MomofMarch
on 3/6/13 9:00 am - GA

I would have screamed, "What's a broad gotta do to get an egg in this *****" Then I would have been fired...hahaha You handled well chick! Great job!!

Laura- HW:240  SW: 224  GW:165 Surgery date 12/10/12

Winning the battle against obesity and PCOS!

sheranfour
on 3/6/13 9:11 am, edited 3/6/13 9:11 am

You made me laugh !!!

If you only knew how close I actually was to going to find the kitchen... and stomping my feet until someone boiled me a damn egg!

( BTW= I always want to call you Stacey...because your avi looks so similar to a girl I work with...Staceyenlightened)

MomofMarch
on 3/6/13 10:11 am - GA

Hahaha I have a few dopplegangers out there. Now I have the song "Stacey's Mom" stuck in my head. hahaha

Nancybefree
on 3/6/13 9:06 am
VSG on 11/21/12

Yeah, Deb, it happens, but you really, really stuck to your guns and made it through.  Awesome job re not caving in to the carb fest and trying to stay hydrated!  I love that you grabbed the RTD, too, and not something stupid when you got out of there. 

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

sheranfour
on 3/6/13 9:15 am

Thanks Nancy!!

I will say...on the conference evaluation form...I did write in the comment section that I was not fond of the "carbfest"...considering this was a HEALTHCARE conference. Go figure!

MomofMarch
on 3/6/13 10:12 am - GA

haha You should point that out next time!

Jls8877
on 3/6/13 9:46 am
Awesome post! You did it! I hope to be as strong if I'm ever in the same type situation! That's a great NSV!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 129 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 378 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 415 views