10 steps backwards. Keeps getting worse :(

Meagle1190
on 3/8/13 4:01 am

I had surgery on 2/20 and did fairly well minus the nausea. After I got home from the hospital I had a sore throat and fever. Since I could barley swallow anything I ended up dehydrated and landed myself right back in the hospital. They gave me fluids and sent me on my way. They didn't really pay much attention to my sore throat so I went to an urgent care facility and they treated me with an antibiotic. A few days after the antibiotic I felt "ok"....I at least felt like this is getting better now. A few days later I ended up with diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting therefore making it pretty impossible to get in my fluids. I was dehydrated AGAIN so back to the hospital I go. When I get to the hospital they decided to give me fluids and keep me overnight for observation. 3 days pass and I still felt like crap.  My  surgeon decided to test me for C Diff and sure enough it was positive! I've been in the hospital 5 days and counting.  They are treating me with flagyl and I'm pretty sure it's making me have nausea :( I'm barley drank anything today. Luckily I have fluids going, but I want to go home and stay away from this place. Anyone have difficulty with flagyl?!? 

I am so upset and don't know what to think :( 

Miranda 

Connie S.
on 3/8/13 4:12 am - CA
VSG on 03/04/13
Miranda,
I am so sorry to hear you are going through this. Flagyl is a nasty drug! BUT, it is the drug of choice for c.diff. This is a very bad infectious diarrhea that can take months to resolve; worse is that it is often spread in hospitals. It can also be opportunistic after antibiotics are taken for another infection. Either way, it is no fun. You are at double (or more) risk of dehydration with c.diff and a restrictive surgery, so you will have to pay even more attention to fluids. As bad as the hospital is, at least you are getting fluids there. If the c.diff proves hard to cure, get in touch with me about other treatments. I work in GI and know a lot about it.
Connie
Meagle1190
on 3/8/13 4:22 am
One of the nurses is going to page a doctor so I can talk to them. Hopefully there is something different they can give me. Right now I feel like I could throw up on demand. (Sorry if tmi)
Thanks Connie
Zee Starrlite
on 3/8/13 4:12 am

Sorry Miranda!

Soon enough you'll be home and healing.  For now, where you are at is the best place to be to be sure to stay hydrated.  This will be over in a blink of an eye.

All best,

Layla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Meagle1190
on 3/8/13 4:25 am
It's been over 2 weeks dealing with all these set backs. I need something that proves it'll be worth it . I want to feel normal again.
jobyro
on 3/8/13 4:29 am

I'm sorry you're going through all of this.  What is C. Diff? 

I hope you feel better soon and get to head home. 

Meagle1190
on 3/8/13 4:31 am
Clostridium difficile (klos-TRID-e-uhm dif-uh-SEEL), often called C. difficile or C. diff, is a bacterium that can cause symptoms ranging from diarrhea to life-threatening inflammation of the colon. Illness from C. difficile most commonly affects older adults in hospitals or in long term care facilities and typically occurs after use of antibiotic medications.
LilSleeved
on 3/8/13 4:44 am

So sorry you're dealing with this, but Flagyl is the best drug to treat this.  Also only good handwashing with soap and water is the only way to prevent the spread.  Make sure that the staff is not using the antibacterial foam when they are with you, they need to wash with soap and water, as do you, so you don't spread it to your family at home.  Good Luck - I hope you get well fast.  I am a nurse who works with immunocompromised patients and C. diff is one we fear.

Lost 271lbs with my LapBand in 22 months!  My Band malfunctioned and I gained almost 42lbs and then revised to the Sleeve 9/24/12!  I lost another 140 lbs with my Sleeve!  Loved the LapBand and Lovin' The Sleeve!

dewsie
on 3/8/13 5:06 am

My father has been in and out of the hospital many times over the years.  The first time, he came home with C-dif which almost killed him.  (he's in his 80s)  After much research, we discovered a probiotic that really works is called Sbolardi.  I'm not sure of the spelling.  But every time he goes back to the hospital, the doc makes sure to add this probiotic to his med sheet.  We have to buy it and bring it in, we also have to make sure the nurses are giving it to him, but he's never come home with it since then.

I highly recommend you try it - let us know if it works for you too!

Julie J.
on 3/8/13 7:04 am - NV

Flagyl is a beast. If you can just tough it out and get through it, you will be ok. Was on it once and swore I would never do it again.  Just make sure you stay on top of the nausea. Don't be afraid to keep asking your doctor to change your anti-nausea meds till you find something that works. I am so sorry you are going through this:) My best to you.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 364 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 409 views