Six month surgiversary AND Onederland!

DawnieJ
on 3/12/13 10:42 pm - LA
VSG on 09/13/12

Today is my six month surgiversary. I wish I could say that I'm one of the people who is close to goal or who has lost massive amounts of weight but I'm not. I lost almost 20 pounds the first week after surgery but I have been a slow loser since week three. One of my goals was to make sure I hit Onederland by the six month mark. I really didn't think I would make it, even as recent as yesterday when the scale said 201. I woke up this morning ready to be disappointed and the scale said 199.6! I was so excited and relieved that I almost cried. =)

As I was standing there alone, I realized that this is MY journey and it isn't like anyone else's. I'm going to stop comparing myself to everyone else on this board and I'm going to stop obsessing over why I lose slower that a lot of people. I'm not 25, I'm 45. I'm not perfectly healthy, I have PCOS. I can't be active during the day, I'm expected to be sitting down drawing in front of a computer for 10 hours a day. I'm not a lot of people, I'm me plain and simple. The fact is that I'm losing at a respectable rate and I have to accept that rate and be glad that the scale isn't going in the other direction any more.

A coworker came up to me yesterday and told me that she is so inspired by how much better I look that she set up a consult with my surgeon. She asked me if the surgery was worth it and if I would do it again. I told her without hesitation that I would do it again in a heartbeat. I also told her that as a matter of fact, if I was told that I had to repeat the surgery procedure every 5 years I would still do it again. Totally. Worth. It.

To all the veterans, thank you so much for the information and advice you give every day. To all the people who are on the fence, do it. It's totally worth it!

ravenbrown
on 3/12/13 11:09 pm - TX
VSG on 10/08/12

Great attitude!  Congrats on your success!

howarli
on 3/12/13 11:18 pm - MD

Whoa sister, you have got this, keep up the good work and the awesome attitude

P.S. I am also a slow loser, and I think this helps your body to adjust for the long haul as oppose to a massive weight loss very quickly.  This is only my opinion, please no one shot me down.

jenn227
on 3/12/13 11:26 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/26/13

Thanks for sharing your journey!  You are an inspiration!

Jenn   Highest weight: 278. Starting weight: 275. Surgery weight: 253. Month 1: 25 lbs. Month 2: 8.8 lbs. Month 3: 12.6 lbs. Month 4: 7 lbs. Onederland 7/29/2013. Month 5: 7 lbs. Month 6: 5 lbs. Months 7-9: self-induced maintenance, then 5 lb gain.

AnnieinIA
on 3/12/13 11:28 pm
Congrats on so many levels! My 6 month mark was on Monday, so it's good to hear your story. I have started to think there are many of us who lose somewhat more slowly - many who are a bit older. Of course we aren't as vocal about our huge losses - cuz, well - they aren't huge!

So maybe we are more in the norm than we think. Keep at it and I'll be right there with ya.

Annie
Miss150
on 3/13/13 1:02 am
Thank you for your post. Great attitude! I'm part of that mostly silent group of considered slow losers. I lost a lot of weight before I had WLS and need to remind myself of WHY I had the surgery, which was to help me keep the weight off-an internal monitor telling me enough food already. The weight IS going to come off. It will happen on our bodies timing- NOT what we want in our heads, or emotions, or ON anybody else's schedule. Congratulations on Onderland! And on 6 months of new life and HOPE for the future. We will do this!

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 3/13/13 1:08 am
VSG on 10/09/12
You are doing great!! I am also along with you on the slow ride. I have lost 52 lbs in 5 months. Six months is right around the corner and I am sure it won't be more than 60 lbs.. if that. I have had all the positives though. Easy peasy recovery, no intolerances, no problems with food, no problems with bathroom issues, no vomiting or foamies, no pain or complications of any kind. So all in all I am really happy. I look great. I feel great. I have a closet full of new clothes and I am not done by a long shot. It may take another six months but heck... that's the fastest loser I have ever been!!! You keep plugging away at it too and you'll be at goal before you know it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

sarapilar
on 3/13/13 2:25 am
VSG on 02/21/13

Congrats on Onederland!  That is terrific!  You will get to goal, don't worry, keep up the great work!

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

danigirl42
on 3/13/13 3:25 am - PA
VSG on 01/02/13

Yay!  Congratulations!!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views