Having second thoughts about getting the sleeve...

Jessica77
on 3/13/13 2:51 pm - CA

So...up until a few days ago I was super excited about getting the sleeve. Now the thought of it is starting to freak me out a lil. I guess since it hasn't been around for very long, not knowing the long term effects is what's scaring me. Any advice??

GreenisLove
on 3/13/13 2:59 pm - CA
VSG on 05/29/13

I believe it has been around a lot longer than most believe. If I read correctly, it was orignialy used as the first part of surgery in a 2 part WLS plan. It was used on patients weighing over 500lbs in hopes to lose 100-200lbs before getting the bypass. Well, the found out that the sleeve alone was working for those patients and they didn't need the second surgery. 

But I think you have to make sure it's the right one for you and your lifestlye. Would you be comfortable with malabsortion for the rest of your life? Dumping syndrome? Or maybe you need that to help you stay on track.  Just remember that each surgery is a tool, and it will work however you use! This probably didn't help too  much but best of luck to you! =D 

louisamay
on 3/13/13 11:21 pm
VSG on 04/27/12

My surgeon said that they were actually in the middle of a bypass surgery on a morbidly obese patient when the patient had a heart attack and they had to simply close and get him stabilized as quickly as possible. He ended up with what we now call a sleeve. The plan at the time was to get him healthy enough to go in and finish the surgery, but instead, he lose all the weight without getting anything more done.

That wasn't the beginning of the sleeve revolution--a lot more experiences had to start piling up before they began to realize it was the procedure itself that was truly working and not just an isolated incident here and there.

So yes, I'm agreeing with you, but also adding a bit more history.

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

Diana E.
on 3/13/13 3:07 pm
VSG on 03/27/13

During a required smeinar I had to attend, my surgeon said this procedure has been around for roughly 10 years... it's only been in the last year or two that ins co.'s are starting to approve the procedure.

MacMadame
on 3/13/13 5:26 pm - Northern, CA

My aunt had most of her stomach removed due to stomach cancer in the 60s. Is that long enough for you? 

The long term side-effects are mostly known because partial gastrectomies have been done forever. What isn't known is whether the weight stays off 20 years from now. But we know it stays off 10 years from now and there haven't been any WLS so far where it stays off at 10 years but comes back after that so that's good enough for me.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Lisa1023
on 3/13/13 9:55 pm
VSG on 03/05/13

but i do wonder how much weight we could possibly GAIN having a 4 oz capacity ???? 

HW  383     SW  371    CW   234     

louisamay
on 3/13/13 11:17 pm, edited 3/13/13 11:17 pm
VSG on 04/27/12

You could easily gain it all back and more.

Weight isn't about capacity. It's about calories. And there is nothing to stop you from eating chips, cookies, cake, ice cream, etc. all day and gaining it all back.

Nothing.

That's why people keep warning that this is NOT a magic surgery, a magic bullet.

You STILL have to deal with the cravings--you have to take control. You have to do what you're told, eat protein, good protein, stop tanking up on the nasties that will make you sick and fat.

It's just much easier to do with this tool.

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

Shagdoll
on 3/14/13 2:15 am

Lisa, our sleeves won't always just max out at a 4 ounce capacity.  I am 18 months out & can eat 4 ounces of dense protein at one sitting.  If I eat a few spoonfuls of veggies then it's probably 2-3 ounces of dense protein.  I can certainly consume enough carbs like chips, cookies, ice cream & french fries to gain weight.  I have a friend who got the VSG a few months before me.  She just told me she gained almost 20 pounds from the holidays.  She lost 100 pounds since surgery then gained back 1/2 that over the past 6 months.  It's scary for sure but that is why it's critical that we adapt & stay with our new way of eating.  Not saying this to scare you because it is a lot easier to get back on track and take a few pounds off with our little "tool" but our little sleeve can be abused.  I love my sleeve & love how much easier it is to take off a few pounds now.  Dense protein is my friend during these times.  It's all good. 

Jenn  

WWBD?  

slimpickins5280
on 3/14/13 12:35 am - CO

It was you! I've been trying to figure out who had the aunt!

Your story helped me to make up my mind when I was ready to **** my pants at the thought of me voluntarily allowing someone to take most of my stomach.

Thank you for sharing it.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

MacMadame
on 3/14/13 10:03 am - Northern, CA

Haha, my aunt is famous and doesn't even know it!

The way I look at it is that my stomach was broken. It may not have had cancer but it wasn't working properly in it's own way. I let them take out my gallbladder when it wasn't working properly, so why not my stomach?

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 391 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 422 views