You Asked for It: More Gory Details from Swizzlequeen...

swizzlequeen
on 3/16/13 11:22 am

You are all so kind in your response to my earlier post about my sleeve-getting adventures! A number of you have insisted that I continue to post "the gory details"...well, if you insist...!

So, here I am, at end of post-op day 5. I did a wee bit of driving today, felt good to participate in the world and in the economy, but was also tiring.

I made my first post-op shake via blender.

Before surgery, I wondered if: a) the blender mixes air into the shake -- I do think that there is no way that it does not; and b) does that extra swallowed air cause problems similar to the air we are afraid we will swallow if we use straws or chew gum?.

Sooooo-- I drank, slowly, and noticed that I felt full very quickly! (They aren't just kidding about that sleeve restriction stuff -- it really works LOL!) Suddenly, I noticed that my tum felt a bit, well, full, I suppose I would say, and I felt that if I took one more sip, I would be in trouble. Then, an unladylike thing happened, the kind of thing that my fabulous nephew was fascinated with when he was at about age 7. (He is now a very sophisticated age 14, but that is another story...)

I burped!

"Self", I said to myself "Could it be that this is the famous burping that my friends on OH talk about as a mysterious but reliable indicator of fullness...?" Before I could reply (I do try to be polite during these conversations), I noticed something even more mysterious: my nose was running! "Hooray!" I said to myself. "This must indeed be the famous, yet mysterious but reliable fullness indicator that many of my OH friends talk about! The runny nose has happened! The runny nose has happened!" Smiling, and with great joy, I lept from my chair and hightailed my body, with its ever-decreasing BMI,to the bathroom, where a sliver of toilet paper was unceremoniously rent from her family (quite an extended family, too, I might add!) and pressed into the honor of nose-wiping service!

I was actually smiling because I felt that this was a milestone, that I am really and truly joining all of you in the WLS journey...

so, for the vets, 2 questions:

1) does drinking blender shakes present any problems to you because of mixed-in air? If so, what do you do about it?

2) I have been getting, ever since coming home, this tight-ish, sometimes very mildly burning sensation in my throat that is very reminiscent of acid reflux. A spoonful of maalox (per the pre-op suggestion of my surgeon) soothes it very nicely. I am seeing my primary doc first thing monday morning, so I willhave reliable medical advice at hand very soon indeed. But does it sound anything like any of your experiences with acid? Do you suppose that it would be unusual for me to experience that so early after surgery? i hope that it will go away.

Ok, I am tired now.

Your support is very precious to me. If a small thing like a runny nose makes me excited and optimistic, just think of how wonderful it will be when life really starts to change for me....wait...it already has started to change, really and truly....

Love, Swizzlequeen

jenn227
on 3/16/13 11:27 am - NJ
VSG on 03/26/13

Yay for your snotty nose lol!  That is AWESOME though!

Jenn   Highest weight: 278. Starting weight: 275. Surgery weight: 253. Month 1: 25 lbs. Month 2: 8.8 lbs. Month 3: 12.6 lbs. Month 4: 7 lbs. Onederland 7/29/2013. Month 5: 7 lbs. Month 6: 5 lbs. Months 7-9: self-induced maintenance, then 5 lb gain.

SleevieWonder
on 3/16/13 11:28 am

I'm only 3 weeks post-op.  Sadly, I have not had the excitement of the runny nose or the burp but I remain hopeful.  I am really just posting because I LOVE your writing!!!  Can't wait to read your next post!!  Feel well and heal well!!  :)

horrible_monster
on 3/16/13 11:28 am
VSG on 02/27/13

I like this post very much. Welcome to the runny nose club.

I have a basement but don't dwell in it full time.

Tnull
on 3/16/13 12:35 pm

Yay!

mary d
on 3/16/13 9:44 pm

No, it's not to early for acid reflux.  Get the best PPI your ins will pay for.  Sometimes OTC PPI's help, but sometimes you may need something stronger.  Get it taken care of ASAP.  You will be much happier without it.  Snotty noses are ok, acid is not.

I wouldn't worry about are in your protein drinks, just take it slow and all will be well.

Lap Band 2006  

VSG 2008

Tenacious88
on 3/17/13 3:24 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 02/05/14

Hi Swizzlequeen

You are a ray of sunshine with your post, you made my day. Love to read your post, don't

stop, it helps all of us, those that have had surgery and those that are waiting to have surgery.

Wishing you the best today and always.

"We as Losers need to have Bull Dog Tenacity to win the war against obesity"                  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 119 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 353 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 402 views