What are your thoughts on coffee & weight loss?

angieg0410
on 3/21/13 4:06 am - OK

I am in a MAJOR stall (like 7 weeks).  The only thing I can narrow it down to is that I am drinking more coffee (been adding protein powder to it and it is incredible).  I used to never drink coffee.  I don't add sugar, cream, etc - just my protein powder - and I am counting it on MFP.

I have read online debates about whether coffee hinders weight loss and wanted to see what your thoughts were.  Does anyone notice a difference in their weight loss when drinking more coffee?  

Any correlations?

~Angie~

Starting weight: 267
Goal weight: 140

Wildcat-NYC
on 3/21/13 4:45 am
VSG on 08/16/12

I drink coffee every day and have not noticed any correlation to hindered/slowed down weight loss...I do not count coffee toward my fluid intake, I drink about 20 oz of coffee a day and 100+oz of water/zero calorie drinks per day.  Are you drinking enough water?

If you think coffee is the reason for the stall, try eliminating it for a week and see what happens...

Tracker starting weight = surgery weight    
jubjub
on 3/21/13 5:10 am - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12

While it didn't slow me down, if it's something new, I'd try stopping it for a week and see what happens.  Then add it back and see what happens.  You should be able to determine pretty quickly if it's causing you problems.

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

louisamay
on 3/21/13 6:03 am, edited 3/21/13 6:03 am
VSG on 04/27/12

What else are you doing? How many calories, how much protein, etc? Share the rest of what you eat and drink. Maybe we can find out what is causing it.

Forgot to say, I have seen no indication that coffee slows my weight loss.  My intake of calories and/or insufficient physical activitiy are what slow my weight loss.

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

angieg0410
on 3/21/13 6:45 am, edited 3/21/13 6:46 am - OK

I eat around 800 calories per day, exercise 30-45 mins 4-5 times per week, get around 100g protein and stay below 40ish carbs (I am type 1 diabetic, so that part is important).   I log everything into MFP.

Maybe I am grasping at straws here to try to make sense of the stall I am in.  It gets frustrating.

Menu for today:
B: Protein coffee

S: Cheese & roast beef

L: Chicken breast, broccoli

S: Protein fruit drink, string cheese

D: Steak

E: 30 mins elliptical

Drink at least 80oz water

~Angie~

Starting weight: 267
Goal weight: 140

louisamay
on 3/21/13 7:24 am
VSG on 04/27/12

You and I are both down to below the last twenty pounds which happen to be the hardest, so that is at least part of it.

Since you haven't gotten much response to your question, I suggest posing a different question--something more specific to your situation rather than a general question.  Maybe, "Is drinking coffee stopping me from losing my last XX pounds?" Then tell what you told me--what you're eating, doing, etc.

I've seen some really helpful and specific advice given from the vets who have already made it past this point, and I am thinking you'll get some good responses.

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

Butterfly Marie
on 3/21/13 7:46 am - NY
VSG on 01/30/12

Drink coffee and/or tea everyday.  I noticed I stall if my intake of sodium is high.  Im extremely sodium sensitive now.  So I give up my beloved cheese and marinades for a bit.

Good Luck

hollirrose
on 3/21/13 12:13 pm
VSG on 04/21/12
No problems with coffee here. I drink several cups a day. Everyone is diffrent.. so it may still be a problem for you. Sorry ... No other suggestions.
MacMadame
on 3/21/13 3:24 pm - Northern, CA

From what I have read, there is no scientific evidence that coffee hinders weight loss.

As with all things weight loss related, YMMV.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 103 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 326 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 376 views