Wellbutrin - can I crush my 300mg xr?

Collette65
on 3/21/13 12:19 pm - Fairview, TX
VSG on 03/11/13

My surgery was 11 days ago and I am going crazy without my Wellbutrin.  I am on 300mg xr and I can't stand the taste of crushed pills-yuck!  How did you take it after surgery?  My doc says to crush Welbutrin 75g four times- nasty, I can choke it down.  That's a meal of crushed pills, help!   I can handle crushing once a day 300mg xr.

Collette

econtiff
on 3/21/13 12:26 pm - FL
VSG on 04/24/12

No way! You're not supposed to crush any XR pills because the coating is what makes them time release.

That interferes even further with absorption.

Just cut them into 4 pieces and swallow little chunks if he prescribed smaller doses. Like with a knife or a pill cutter. I took my meds fine 3 days out.

loverofcats
on 3/21/13 12:31 pm, edited 3/21/13 12:32 pm

The extended release cannot be crushed. Why did he switch you to immediate release? Rny folks have issues with absorption due to absence of a pyloric valve.  Vsg folks have a fully functioning pyloric valve, so medication is more slowly released, as it should be. If you must crush the medication, using no sugar added applesauce to mix with the medication may help. A little applesauce shouldn't hurt you.  I would mix the crushed pieces with something else, since the edges  can be irritating to a new sleeve . Sounds like he didn't want you to swallow pills at the current time.

"          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Collette65
on 3/21/13 12:37 pm - Fairview, TX
VSG on 03/11/13

Will crushing my Wellbutrin 300mg XR hurt me?

Collette

loverofcats
on 3/21/13 1:26 pm

It won't be as effective and you may have more problems with side effects since the medication is released all at once into your system. Why can't you just swallow the pill? At three weeks, taking pills is like having a meal, but it is doable. They aren't huge tablets .

"          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

hollykim
on 3/22/13 7:24 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

You could be overdosing yourself,actually,if you crush an extended release pill. You will be getting the ENTIRE dose at once instead of having it dissolve a little at a time for more ewvenly spaced doses.

I wouldn't do it if it was me.

elaine-is-ready
on 3/21/13 1:43 pm
VSG on 03/19/12

Hi.

Unless they are scored (have a line indentation where they can be easily split) you shouldn't even cut them, much less crush them.  You would be getting the whole 300mg daily dose absorbed too fast and it won't last all day.  The side effects would probably be unpleasant.  The 75 mg tablets are immediate release and are crushable.  Any chance of letting you swallow a 150mg SR tablet twice daily instead?  They are a bit smaller than most 300mg tablets.  

HW= 305        pre-op wt loss= 35 lbs
VSG date: 3/19/12
Nanato2
on 3/21/13 2:01 pm, edited 3/21/13 2:01 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

You should be able to take them without crushing them people with a VSG do not have to crush pills. I have not crushed my pills ever the day after my surgery I was given my pills and told I could swallow. The only thing is if they are very large pills then you may have to break in half.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

swizzlequeen
on 3/21/13 2:09 pm

Collette,

Please be very careful -- be absolutely sure that you are doing the absolutely correct thing re crushing or cutting these very important meds. I suggest that you have this conversation carefully with your pharmacist, see what he/she suggests - - pharmacists are excellent sources of information -- then re-verify the pharmacist's suggestion with your doc. It is important that there be no disruption of your Wellbutrin treatment, which is now a bit complicated by the VSG. We here on the OH boards are also excellent sources of information, but your best source of advice for your special situation are your pharmacist and physician.

Take care of yourself!

Hugs!

==Swizzlequeen.

tia47
on 3/21/13 2:18 pm - cleve, OH
I wondered that same thing myself with Metoprolol XR. I'll have to ask.

T.
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 47 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 47 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 204 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 288 views