Stranger Here--WLS book update

louisamay
on 3/24/13 2:05 am
VSG on 04/27/12

I am about 2/3rds through this book and here are my thoughts:

Very readable, well-written.

I am SO glad I did not get DS.

This poor girl needed somebody to be "mean girl"/"tough love" on her, because seriously, she was ignoring all good advice, instructions, etc. I look around this forum and am SO grateful we have people who will sometimes take us by the shoulders and give us a bit of a virtual-shake and say, STOP DOING STUPID THINGS.

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

stephanieplum
on 3/24/13 2:17 am
VSG on 06/27/12

I guess I'm going to have to buy it...you have me intrigued! I have to say I'm thankful for my sleeve.  I seriously considered the DS, but decided that I could not live with the regime of the DS.  The sleeve, for me, has been a life style change but not as drastic as the DS.  I was just not willing to do the things the DS requires.  However, I'm grateful for the option for others.

I am, too, am thankful for this forum and the willingness of others who share their journeys.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 3/24/13 3:11 am
VSG on 10/09/12
My sentiments exactly!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

MsBatt
on 3/25/13 5:55 am
On March 24, 2013 at 9:17 AM Pacific Time, stephanieplum wrote:

I guess I'm going to have to buy it...you have me intrigued! I have to say I'm thankful for my sleeve.  I seriously considered the DS, but decided that I could not live with the regime of the DS.  The sleeve, for me, has been a life style change but not as drastic as the DS.  I was just not willing to do the things the DS requires.  However, I'm grateful for the option for others.

I am, too, am thankful for this forum and the willingness of others who share their journeys.

Please don't judge the DS by this one woman's story. I haven't read this book, but I've talked with others who have, and it appears that her journey is in no way typical.

I had to laugh when I read the lines "The sleeve, for me, has been a life style change but not as drastic as the DS.  I was just not willing to do the things the DS requires." because that's exactly the way I feel about all the OTHER forms of WLS. (*grin*)

Lovin' my DS!

mickeymantle
on 3/24/13 3:08 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

my book trading club has 52 people waiting in front of me for that book

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

mary d
on 3/24/13 5:54 am

I think she has a thing for candy.  Candy doesn't take up much room so it can be eaten all day.  I don't know how it went over with her DS though.  All simple carbs are absorbed and can create "digestive" problems.

I could never even complete the thought of either of the malabsorption surgeries.  I just cringe and shutdown when I imagine the process of rearranging things.  I wouldn't mind the weight loss that goes along with the DS, but I couldn't live with the requirements and possible health problems.

Lap Band 2006  

VSG 2008

louisamay
on 3/24/13 7:59 am
VSG on 04/27/12

Not just candy. When I read the amounts of things she was eating, I can't figure out how she did it with her stomach so small. She talks about breading and frying a whole package of chicken breasts, thinking she would eat them all week, and eating until she had eaten them all and then got sick.

mary d
on 3/24/13 8:09 am

OMG...That is the last thing I would want to binge on!!  I can't get down one chicken breast.  Their stomachs are not that much bigger than ours.

Lap Band 2006  

VSG 2008

louisamay
on 3/24/13 8:14 am
VSG on 04/27/12

She figured out she could eat frozen pizza, ice cream, etc. and keep losing weight. This is a memoir of an addiction crisis, just like others have alcoholism, drug addiction, etc.  She punishes herself by eating too much, and then feels guilty because she keeps losing weight anyway.

sarapilar
on 3/24/13 2:59 pm
VSG on 02/21/13

That is the whole fat acceptance movement she keep aplologizing to.  That is one reason I feel she is annoying.

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 349 views