Forwarded without comment...

jpsp30
on 3/25/13 11:18 pm - TN

Low-carb diet? Why your week 1 weight loss is meaningless

Please note that this is only a forward for information purposes. In other words, if you are a carboholic or a carbanatic; please read it with a grain of salt.

Jeff - Located in East Tennessee; Surgery by Dr. Mark Colquitt on 4/12/2013

Highest Weight- 511; Initial Consultation Weight - 474; Surgery Weight 450    

Kelly-AnneH
on 3/26/13 12:43 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
And that loss of glycogen is part of the reason many surgeons have people go low carb for a week or so before surgery. Glycogen is stored in the liver, and decreasing your glycogen stores temporarily makes your liver smaller and less slippery, so easier to move out of the way during surgery.

Longer term a low carb diet decreases you appetite, and can be a huge benefit for people with a normal appetite, people who don't lose their appetite after surgery (most do), people out a ways whose appetite has returned, people who have difficulty stopping at a small portion regardless of appetite and restriction, people who eat processed, crap carbs and some diabetics.

If severely restricting carbs helps you avoid "eat ALL THE FOOD" then great. If you're able to stay within your calorie limits while getting in all of your protein and eating moderate carbs, that's just fine too.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Jenny C.
on 3/26/13 12:49 am

For this reason, I have long believed that you have to decide your course and stick to it.  Regular carb/low carb is like having a split level house.  If you live primarily on the lower level and eat some carbs, you can have a pretty significant gain.  But not because you've gained true weight--you've just stepped up to the upper level.  But still, it can freak one out.

There has been research showing that a low-carb approach can lead to greater weight loss in the non-wls population.  Recidivism in that population is horrendous as we all know and have lived, and that is true for low-carb diets as well as others.  I haven't seen any research specific to wls folks.  If you're athletic, it is probably good to get a knowledgeable nut to give input on keeping glycogen stores optimum for your activity.

starry957
on 3/26/13 2:09 am

GRRRR...this debate about carbs is making my head spin!  I want to do the "right" thing post-op and for healthy weight loss....but I get so much conflicting information.  No doctor knows everything about this - especially long term, and every person's body and make up is different.  I DO worry about what happens when carbs are reintroduced during maintenance, which, would, actually explain the number of people that have so much more difficulty with weight gain during that time or at least making it so much more likely.  I'm no health expert, but does it make sense to set the body to be "accustomed" to super low carb....wouldn't it then only be able to handle that amount without weight gain?

I think I'm going to go somewhere in the middle...lol

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

Kelly-AnneH
on 3/26/13 4:09 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
After surgery you won't be ABLE to eat a high carb diet unless you eat crap carbs, which slide right on through. If you eat a healthy balanced diet, get in enough protein and never push your sleeve (which will make you feel terrible, trust me) you will, by default, be eating a lowER carb diet than most around you.

You'll undoubtedly be seeing a registered dietitian. Pay attention to what you're told, avoid most processed food, and you'll be fine. In Canada the term Nutritionist simply means someone with an interest in nutrition - not necessarily someone with solid credentials. A Registered Dietitian is someone worth listening to.

My RD wants me eating a diet with whole grains, fruit, veg, low fat dairy and lean protein. She's a fabulous resource for eating out tips, traveling strategies and such. I've learned so much from her!

I agree with what you're saying about eating low carb, then relearning AGAIN how to eat once I get to goal. By eating a fairly balanced diet now, when I get to goal all I'll have to do is increase my portions a little. I know that way of handling it isn't the most popular one on this forum, but it's working for me, worked great for my sis, and is working/has worked for many people who don't say much on the forum.

starry957
on 3/26/13 4:58 am

Thank you so much!  I appreciate your input.  When you were in the first 6 months to a yr, do you recall how many grams of carbs you were typically having?

Kelly-AnneH
on 3/26/13 5:26 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I average about 80-100 grams of carbs, with occasional days over and occasional under. I pay more attention to fibre, which I try to get 20 or more grams of. (constipation is SO not fun!)

My goals are at least 8 cups of "water," 75g protein, 20g fibre, and to keep my average calorie intake at about 800-900. I was maintaining 270# on 15-1800 calories, and on 800-900 am now averaging about 1# a week of loss, so to maintain my current weight would take about 13-1400 calories. My GP says he'd like me to finish at 180, which is shockingly close. I'll likely be trying for my own goal of 150, which won't be "thin" by any means, but I think would be healthy and sustainable.

I use a program/App called myfitnesspal and you're welcome to add me as a friend there. My diary is open, so you can easily see what I eat on a regular basis. My nick there is KellyAnneH.

starry957
on 3/26/13 9:02 am

You mean in the first 6 months you were having 80-100 grams of carbs??  How was your weight loss during those months?

loverofcats
on 3/26/13 2:22 am

Interestingly, low carb diets show the greatest weight loss in the beginning, but by the end of a year, low fat and low carb diets are even with weight loss. Low carb diets are great in the beginning, because when people see a drop in weight, it can be very motivating. Each person has to find out what works the best for them.

"          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

starry957
on 3/26/13 3:02 am

Yes, this is probably so true.  Just wi**** were more black and white....although, then it might get annoying too....lol

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 201 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 283 views