How are you getting enough protein?

PaisleyParker
on 3/26/13 12:56 am
VSG on 03/20/13

I'm 6 days out today and am not coming at all close to getting enough protein. How do y'all do it?

MomofMarch
on 3/26/13 1:02 am - GA

I didn't start protein shakes until a week after. It honestly took me some time. Drinking became a pain. I struggled with it and fluids for about 4 weeks. I also had to try different shakes because I just WASN'T getting the protein I needed, nor was I tolerating it. I use Premier Protein shakes that I get from Sam's. There's 30g of protein in one 11 oz shake. So, if you do that, all you need is 3 shakes. I like them because they're not chalky and not expensive. ($19 for a case of 12)

I'm 3 months out, so I can eat as well. When you get to that point, you will be able to knock down the amount of shakes you have, and start eating your lean dense proteins. My goal is now 90 g of protein daily. Sometimes I even manage to go over that. It just takes a little time.

What kind of shakes are you taking in?

Laura- HW:240  SW: 224  GW:165 Surgery date 12/10/12

Winning the battle against obesity and PCOS!

PaisleyParker
on 3/26/13 1:59 am
VSG on 03/20/13

Thanks so much for your response!

I am drinking the Premier Protein shakes as well. I think they taste great. I can only drink about 2 oz  of one at a time. Then need to wait about 1/2 hour. Drinking 3 full ones a day will be something I'll have to build up to. My surgeon recommended the protein shakes with my clear liquid stage.

Glad to hear it was something you built up to as well.

I'm happy with my decision to have surgery but feel a bit frustrated at the lack of info and support from my surgeon and his office. So thankful for this site!!!

MomofMarch
on 3/26/13 2:43 am - GA

Ok that's great! I know you feel full from the drinks, but try to drink 2 oz every 15 mins or so. Try it and see if you can tolerate it. If not, go back to the 30 mins. Drink drink drink! :)

Laura- HW:240  SW: 224  GW:165 Surgery date 12/10/12

Winning the battle against obesity and PCOS!

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 3/26/13 1:22 am
VSG on 10/09/12
As of day two post op I was able to get in two RTD Pemier protein shakes a day with 30 gr protein each that is how I managed to meet the minimum goal. I alternated btwn that and the unjury chicken soup flavoured protein. Then progressively added chicken and tuna salads, eggs, soft fish etc. now at almost six months I like to be closer to 90 gr of protein a day and get 30 of that from my protein coffee breakfast and the rest from meat, chicken, eggs, fish and dairy.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

ravenbrown
on 3/26/13 1:23 am - TX
VSG on 10/08/12

Protein shakes.  I'm almost six months out, but I can't eat enough in three meals to satisfy my protein goals, so I supplement with shakes.  I kind of feel like I will always have shakes, but they don't bother me.  When I was where you are, I was still on clears so I ate broth with unflavored protein (ugh) and watered down Isopure fruit bottles (they have 40g of protein, I believe).  If you haven't already, find a shake you like.  It makes life so much easier.  I drink Isopure Low Carb Chocolate.  It takes like Ovaltine to me.  I used to doctor them up with PB2 or whatever bc I was in full liquids & purees for a long time, but I find jus****er is fine now.

Jackie T.
on 3/26/13 1:24 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

The first couple of weeks it is just about not getting dehydrated.  The protein will come with time but don't stop drinking.  It is very important to stay hydrated or you will have other problems.  You have goals you are striving for but probably won't be able to achieve for a while.  I don't think I started protein until the 3rd week.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

PaisleyParker
on 3/26/13 2:19 am
VSG on 03/20/13

Thanks soooo much!!! I feel a lot better!

SophieNJ
on 3/26/13 3:16 am - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

I was on clear liquids for a week....no mention of protein until the 2nd week for me.....try chicken broth, it goes down easy....sugar free popsicles, herb teas, etc.  and be sure to ask for more support when you go back to surgeon....sounds like he's leaving you to figure thinks out on your own..  certain protein drinks taste better than others.  try different ones, get some unflavored protein powder, and put some in whatever you are having.  unjury chicken protein is not bad.....

GOOD LUCK!!

AppyGrl
on 3/26/13 3:45 am
VSG on 01/23/13

I too have the Premier Protein RTD shakes. I am not and never have been a huge sweets fan so I have found that the Unjury Chicken soup flavor can pull me out of a low protein funk. One scoop in either 6 or 8oz  gives 21g of protein. I have started my day off several times with this. Just make sure you don't over heat your water with warm or hot protein no more than 140 degrees. I invested in a candy/oil/water thermometer just to stay on track. As for liquids I love hot-to-room temp herbal teas. Orange and Red Zinger are my favs.

Best of Luck

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 158 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 430 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 449 views