Cereal, foamies,fiber & reactions to certain foods?

Alove188
on 3/27/13 11:35 am
VSG on 01/28/13

So I'm 2 months out, doing fine right now (although that wasn't always the case), and I read about foamies but never experienced it. Yesterday I decided to try a little cereal using Dixie Diner's smaps which are low cal, low carb, high protein, plus fiber, and instead of milk I used a vanilla protein shake mixed with water, making the the entire meal:

171 calories

8 carbs - half of them being fiber

Less than 3 sugars

And about a whopping 34 grams of protein - (I try to get a lot of protein in at once because I don't have much of an appetite/time right now to eat multiple meals.)

So after eating not even a quarter of this cereal, the dreaded foamies finally caught up to me. My question is WHY? Is it because I normally don't eat much fiber and it was too much for me? Was it too heavy for a meal? Because I haven't had any problems with any other foods...and I've had a decent variety (fish, veggies,eggs, soups), so I just drank the protein shake out of the bowl and put the remaining cereal pieces back in the fridge.

So after feeling clammy and going to the bathroom a few times to spit up the foamies, a few hours passed and I hadn't eaten anything so I had a little hunger. Because I hate to waste, I decided to give the cereal another try, on its own, without any protein shake. I mixed a bit of natural almond butter with the pieces left, which was probably a 2-3 oz at most, baked it up a bit and sprinkled a little cinnamon.  Then, I exxagerate not, I had a TINYYY bite or 2 & the exact same thing happened right away...foamies, clammy feeling.

Did anyone else experience this with this cereal, or a certain food, or is it just me & people react differently to different things?

Also, would it be smart to wait a few weeks then try them again? or is it guaranteed to happen again?

Thanks in advance! =)

Missy30
on 3/27/13 11:54 am
VSG on 06/27/12

I don't think I'll be much help because I wasn't allowed to have grain until 6 months out. I have never heard of this cereal is it soft like oatmeal or a hard crunchy cereal?  I would think you may be too early out for hard crunchy cereal not sure about the soft stuff but you're still healing so it might just be too much for your stomach to handle.  Not sure what your doctors orders are regarding foods tho they are all different.

Alove188
on 3/27/13 12:02 pm
VSG on 01/28/13

It's not a grain, they're made of soy, and are the crispness of Kellogg rice crispies, but sitting in the protein-water mixture, got a drop softer...which is why I figured they'd be alright, because they're not going down dry, but moist.

Ingredients: Soy concentrate, soy flour, soy protein isolate, canola oil, low glycemic monosaccharide, sea salt, low glycemic fruit concentrate, natural flavors.

Missy30
on 3/27/13 12:51 pm
VSG on 06/27/12

Okay I see, well maybe it's just something that doesn't agree with you right now.  If you have had the protein before then I would guess its the cereal that is causing you the problem but I'm not sure why maybe the fiber?  Oh the other thing it maybe too much like eating and drinking at the same time.  Just because the cereal is sucking up the water protein mix.  I know when I was early out if I drank to fast or drank to soon after eating I would get pain.  Could be you just need to give it time and try again later out.  I had a hard time with beef when I could add that back in it set really heavy and almost felt stuck at times.  But as time went on I tried it again and it goes down fine now.

Alove188
on 3/27/13 1:17 pm
VSG on 01/28/13

Yea, I think I'll wait a full month then give it another try because supposedly your stomach fully heals around 3 months.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, appreciate it =)

MacMadame
on 3/27/13 1:32 pm - Northern, CA

Cereal expands in your stomach. I'm 4.5 years out and it still happens to me. I don't get the foamies any more. But I have to be careful and I can't eat that much and it's just not worth it most of the time so I rarely eat cereal. I have to be in the exact right mood.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Alove188
on 3/29/13 3:39 am
VSG on 01/28/13

Oh I see, thank you

Does it still expand if I eat it dry as a snack?  (hate to waste)

MacMadame
on 3/29/13 12:52 pm - Northern, CA

It will a little but not as bad as when you add milk (liquid) to it first. You could also add the milk and let it get all soggy but I think that's kind of gross, myself.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 47 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 47 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 203 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 287 views