Movie Popcorn replacement needed....love the movies!

Sara O.
on 4/3/13 10:28 pm - NC
RNY on 03/12/12

At your stage right now I can only recommend flavored water or a protein drink. In a few months once you've established you can tolerate protein bars I would recommend taking one to the movies. Until then stick with water or a RTD protein shake in your purse. lol

Jackie T.
on 4/3/13 11:25 pm - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

I know I shouldn't be but I am a popcornaholic!  I measure my popcorn and I work it into my plan.  I have a special bowl that I use and I record it every time I eat it.  I too liked to eat popcorn at the movies but I have now been a few times and I just find that I don't want it if I eat before I go.  I don't eat chocolate or peanut butter because I don't like them and popcorn is my one big weakness.  I decided to not fight it anymore but I have to be diligent and can only have a small amount and I don't put butter on it.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

AmberK
on 4/4/13 12:09 am
VSG on 03/07/12 with

When I go to the movies, and we go a lot with two little ones, I take myself some pork rinds, maybe some almonds, or a quest bar so that  I feel like I am not depriving myself

VSG 3/07/12     HW:260   SW: 249   CW:164  

louisamay
on 4/4/13 1:02 am
VSG on 04/27/12

Three weeks out? Definitely no popcorn!

I don't want to be mean--seriously--but have to wonder, were you really thinking/hoping it would be okay to eat popcorn? Just curious.

If you're talking about going to a movie now while you're at this stage, I'd eat first (as others have suggested) and take a chocolate protein shake if you are going to be craving something.  Either have a note from your doc if you get challenged or just smuggle it in a big purse.

You can do this!

I like somebody's idea of pepperoni slices to combat the smell of popcorn, but it's a bit early for that.

And... not to be a party pooper, but to be realistic and pro-active...

Take a great book or magazine, and if you get inside and simply can't tolerate the aromas and temptations, slip out to the car and wait (or dirve to a nearby coffee shop and get some hot tea or something). And think about what a WARRIOR you are, and how AMAZING these changes are, and pat yourself on the back for NOT being one of the masses, blindly cramming your mouth with junk.

Plan an exit strategy and stick to it, if necessary.

And laugh about it. Don't be a martyr. When the movie is over and you join up with your friends or family, be proud of the new you *****cognizes trouble and cuts it off at the pass.

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

jarabacoagirl
on 4/4/13 1:43 am
VSG on 12/17/12

Setting aside the calories and carbs.  I'd think the popcorn texture would be irritating to the sleeve.  I'm 3.5 months out I think that's one of the few items I'm still not ready to try yet.    At 3 weeks post op don't you feel a vacancy in your stomach?  What i mean is I would smell aromas of foods that smelled awesome but thinking about eating them at that time would make me ill even the thought.   When I was 1 to 4 weeks out I literally could feel the vacancy of my old stomach and where the new sleeve was cut and everything.  Now that I'm healed I don't feel that anymore.  What I mean is food smelled great but I new I just couldn't put it there.   Now it gets harder because most things my sleeve does tolerate and it doesn't get upset too easily so now is where the self control comes in.

HW 302 lbs SW  279.8 lbs.  CW  193.8 lbs   MFP Jarabacoagirl  Preop diets 22.2 lbs, 1st month 21.2 lbs, 2nd month 14.6 lbs,  3rd month 11.2 lbs, 4th month 7 lbs, 5th month 7 lbs, 6th month 6.8 lbs, 7th month 5.2 lbs, 8th month 4.4 lbs 9 and 10th months slowed down didn't record exactly

108.2 lbs lost from highest weight!

(86.2 lbs of that was lost since surgery date)

mnmommaof2
on 4/4/13 2:33 am
VSG on 11/23/12

I love popcorn... always have and always will!  It is one of the things I am just not willing to live without.  The trick is working it into your daily plan... and making sure you limit your quantities.  Can you get the large popcorn, smother it in butter and salt and eat the entire thing over the course of 2 hours?? Of course not.  But you can ask for a water cup at the counter, fill it from your families popcorn bucket once (less than 1 cup), count the carbs and calories into your daily allowance and enjoy every second of it?? Yep!  You sure can.  You're too early to try though, I waited until I was three months out and had surgeon approval. 

IMO:  I watch what I eat and limit my carbs.  I have OCCASIONAL treats, (like popcorn) every once in a while, but always work it into my calorie/carb daily limits.  You'll never again see me mindlessly eating a twinkie, but maybe a single hershey's kiss for Easter!   Surgery is a lifestyle change... but it has to be a lifestyle change I can live with.  I have always found that when I severely restrict and deny food, eventually my willpower gives out and I find myself face first in a trough of junk food without anyway to reel myself back in.  By allowing myself a tiny bit of occasional, responsible treats, I am able to stay on plan and not feel guilty for my choices.   

Highest weight 279.8

Surgery weight 268 

slatond
on 4/5/13 4:29 am

@ 3wks out ... No Popocorn.

However, like others said ... I am almost 1 yr out and do work in popcorn occasionally and log it. Most of the time it just isn't worth it though. 1st like one poster said Popcorn is "easy" to eat so it makes it harder to "limit." 2ndly, when I eat higher carb food, my hunger gets a little out of hand for a few days and harder to get back under control each time. I take a water bottle and beef jerky when we go most of the time.

At first it was HARD to not give in to the popcorn due to the smell...But I love my jerky too. Definitely not perfect so it will happen that I give in to the popcorn. But I try to update MFP and be AWARE of the outcome if I do! Helps keep me in line some days.

Good luck

happyteacher
on 4/5/13 10:30 am

So it is crunchy and salty that you are missing I assume.  Try kale chips.  I know it sounds weird, but if you bake some up they are crunchy, salty, and dang good.  Use the search button for a recipe.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 130 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 385 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 418 views