Constipation and fear of the Bathroom Scale

sarapilar
on 4/9/13 5:29 am, edited 4/9/13 5:32 am
VSG on 02/21/13

I'm been avoiding the bathroom scale because, well, TMI, I have not been going #2 very much this past week.  I have taken Miralax a couple night, but not really having much success...I bought some Milk of Mag and some "Prunelax" tablets from the drugstore.  I feel that if I can 'go' normally, that the scale won't be too scary.  Please share your guidance, advise and tips on this topic.

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

acbbrown
on 4/9/13 5:36 am, edited 4/9/13 5:37 am - Granada Hills, CA

Three letters sum it all up for me - F. M. L.

Ive delt with constipation since I had surgery....it sucks. Just for a little giggle, my mom used to tell me I was "full of ****" all the time....and then last year some time, I had to have an abdominal x-ray (for unrelated reasons) that resulted in an urgent phone call from my doc confirmining that it was true...I was "full of ****" and he put in a rx for a crazy laxative. It also happen to explain the otherwise unexplainable 9lb gain I had over a 3 week period - disappeared over night.

MoM and miralax dont work for me...fiber supplements KILL me. I am taking a rx called lactulose...its a stool softener/laxative that works okay but makes me gassy when I take it.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

sarapilar
on 4/9/13 5:56 am
VSG on 02/21/13

Oh WOW about the 9lbs you had!  That's wild! 

OK, sorry to be stupid, but what does "F. M. L." stand for? 

I might need to get lactulose RX if all this other stuff won't work for me over the next few days...I also started taking a new iron supplement, but it was *supposed* to be easy on the stomach, and help with the bathroom, maybe not? It's called Vitamin Code Raw Iron by Garden of Life.

Thanks for your reply....lots to consider...I just want to GO, ya know!?

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

acbbrown
on 4/9/13 6:04 am - Granada Hills, CA

Fuck my life....i tried to keep it clean....ive been informed not every one appreciates my potty mouth lol.

Iron is generally constipating. That's what ive been told.

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Jls8877
on 4/9/13 10:08 am
I love the potty mouth when talking about constipation! Lol!
Do you notice pain under your right rib, especially when running when you are constipated? Lately, I have had sharp pains under my right boob (my gb is already out) that increases w/exercise. I'm a bit backed up and was thinking it could be related???
acbbrown
on 4/9/13 3:08 pm - Granada Hills, CA

Running is the one thing that is SURE to get things moving, but YES - its very very uncomfortable. After doing a 10K once where I wanted to die the whole time from cramping b/c i was extremely "backed up"......I swore off running unless I was regular. Doesnt work out too well for me but I try to stay close to home lol. 

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Jls8877
on 4/9/13 9:49 pm
I thought that was probably the culprit. Thanks for your reply!
juddfan1974
on 4/9/13 5:43 am - TN
VSG on 07/02/12

Miralax takes a while to work...sometimes 3 or 4 days.  I find it is best to take it on a regular basis.  If I am currently constipated I take the recommended dosage until I have a movement then I start taking about 1/2 the recommended dosage just to keep me regular.  Then I slowly take less and less.  Say every other day or every 3rd day.

hollykim
on 4/9/13 5:55 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I have been constipated since surgery.     I have found that the only think that works is to get a program and use it religiously. My program is 4 stool softeners and a dose of Miralax,EVERY night.   I might can skip one night but that is all. I have had to manually remove impactions from myself enough times that I AM NOT going there again.

I expect to need this regimen the rest of my life. I am not sure,even at maintenance,that I will get enough fiber from foods to do the job. Benefiber also KILLS me. I figure it is a pretty good trade off.  Once you make up your mind that you ARE going to need the help and get a program going,the better off you will be long term,trust ne.

GL

sarapilar
on 4/9/13 5:58 am
VSG on 02/21/13

Great advice, I am going to start now with a Program.  I need to take this seriously and really control this issue!  Thank you.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 102 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 325 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 369 views