X-post - PPI's, Magnesium Deficiency, Depression, Fatigue, Anger, Insomnia, Anxiety, Etc.

snowbaby
on 4/14/13 3:56 am - Durango, CO

I have not posted here in a long time so thought I would come back to say hello and share what's going on in my life. I have not even visited OH.com much less posted. I have been dealing with alot of issues that have left me feeling hopeless, sad, angry, etc. I got down to 198 lbs which I think lasted 2 days then slowly gained almost 25 lbs. I have tried over and over to start losing weight again only to lose a few pounds then feel physically and mentally horrible. I more recently started doing Atkins - stayed in ketosis for 3.5 months and only lost 4 lbs! Like past attempts I suddenly turned into an angry, depressed, tired shrew and could not stand to be me. I hated the world - even my sweet husband. I thought maybe it was depression or hormonal issues and was about to go for help when I read something really interesting. I take Prevacid for the volcanic heartburn I acquired after surgery - apparently Prevacid and other PPI's can cause magnesium deficiency. My symptoms of depression, anxiety, insomnia, anger, headaches and restless legs all pointed to a magnesium deficiency so I contacted my nutritionist and she said let's treat it as such and see if you improve. She has me using Magnesium oil and also soaking in Epsom's salt because she said transdermal delivery is going to be the best way for me to absorb enough to improve my levels. I've been following her advice for several weeks now and noticing a dramatic improvement! I am giving it a few more weeks before I go back to another attempt to lose weight. I feel hopeful and happy again! I would love to hear from others who may be having similar issues or have been diagnosed with a mag deficiency - or even anyone who has advice on the subject.

Sue 

Bichon Mom2 Oval Sticker

Ms Shell
on 4/14/13 4:34 am - Hawthorne, CA

What did your labs say about that?  My calcium has magnesium in it (I too had read about the effects) and I take an epsom salt bath at least every other month because I just feel soothed.

Best of luck to you.

Ms Shel

snowbaby
on 4/14/13 9:02 am - Durango, CO

Hi Ms. Shel! Good to "see" you again! I have not had my labs done yet...but...from what I'm reading so far magnesium deficiency is really hard to diagnose. My nutritionist said that anyone taking PPI's will not absorb much of any type of oral magnesium because stomach acid is needed for effective delivery. I am taking Vitalady's Calcium/Magnesium Citrate w/ D3 regardless figuring it can't hurt. Transdermal delivery seems to be my best option. I have never used Epsom's salt but I have to say - I am enjoying it!

Sue 

Bichon Mom2 Oval Sticker

Carmelita
on 4/14/13 4:53 am - Four Corners, NM
snowbaby
on 4/14/13 9:24 am - Durango, CO

Hi Carmelita! How are things going down your way?! I just recently found this nutritionist  here in Durango - she is awesome!!! Let me know if you want her name and number. I am due for my annual soon so will find out what's going on but from the sounds of it I believe we already know. I ran into this one time before when I was on omeprazole so was told to switch to prevacid. I thought I was in the clear with prevacid but found out otherwise. It turns out ANY PPI can cause deficiencies. I would like to stop taking them altogether but according to my NUT it will be very hard to do. I have tried going off them only to have major constant eruptions so I can see why she is saying that. Regular antacids don't do a thing for me. This has been a hellish ordeal for me in so many ways. I have been feeling like a failure for not losing more weight than what I have so far and then feeling hopeless because I gained. What a roller coaster ride this has been. I never thought I would have all these issues. I thought the weight would all come off and I would be feeling like a million bucks. I am still better off than I was 3 years ago so I have to count my blessings!

Sue 

Bichon Mom2 Oval Sticker

Carmelita
on 4/14/13 11:33 pm - Four Corners, NM
HilaryH8103
on 4/14/13 5:35 am - WA
WOW! I had no idea that PPIs could cause so many different things. I've been feeling kind of down lately, angered easily & very impatient. I never had heartburn before my WLS but my surgeon still wanted me to take omeprazole for a total of 3 months after my surgery. I'll be 8 weeks post-op tomorrow.
I wonder if I'd be okay if I stopped taking the PPI. I don't know what my labs look like, I get them drawn in another 3.5 weeks so I'll see then.
I think I'm going to stop taking them, I mean shouldn't I see if I even have heartburn first?
(deactivated member)
on 4/14/13 6:32 am
VSG on 06/04/12

I have been on oemprazole for 3 years now due to GERD.  If I miss taking it in the morning than I feel the heartburn within the hour.  I'm going to check my other vitamins to see what level of magnesium they contain.  Thanks for the heads up!

deemyers
on 4/14/13 12:02 pm
VSG on 02/05/13

For those of you thinking about stopping omeprazole, dont! - The omeprazole is neccesary because during the first three months, there is still a healing period. It controls the acid so that you heal better and faster. Excess Acid will also cause the feeling of intense hunger. I would recommend that you keep taking the omeprazole at least for the first 3 months. Then, look for alternative deliveries of magnesium - the epson salt is really good delivery mechanism.

I am happy that you are feeling better - when you are ready you will try again, and you know what? you will be successful. Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 119 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 353 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 401 views