2 STEP PRE-OP ??ANYONE ELSE?

newjourny47
on 4/16/13 2:37 am - ID

I AM ONE MONTH FROM SURGERY AND I ACTUALLY HAVE 2 PRE-OPS.  THE FIRST 2 WKS ARE FOR LIQUIDS AND ONE SMALL MEAL,EITHER BREAKFAST LUNCH OR DINNER AND THEN THE 2 WKS PRIOR TO SURGERY ARE PURE LIQUIDS..HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD 2 PRE-OPS? IS THIS NORMAL?

datachick
on 4/16/13 2:42 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

Whatever your surgeon wants is 'normal'

All are different, just follow the plan you are given and forget about it.

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

Calking
on 4/16/13 4:23 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

The previous reply was spot on.  You absolutely have to start now with the attitude that your surgeon and or nutritionist knows what is best for you.  There is no such thing as a normal pre op or post op plan.  Everybody's journey seems to be as unique as their finger prints.  Do not start now with making yourself crazy by making comparisons with what every one else did.  

You did your research and picked your surgeon.  You have to believe that they have your best interest at heart.  Just to let you know how individual your pre op plan is think about this.  There are people that start out this journey barely qualifying for it with a BMI of 35.  Then there are people with a BMI of 40.  With my surgeon at BMI 35 he does a two week pre op plan as the end goal is only to loose about 100 pounds at most.  On the other hand my surgeon having a patient with a BMI of 40 goes on a three week plan.  The higher the BMI the more changes are made to a pre op diet.  

Pre op diets are designed to do basically 2 things.  1) Shrink your liver as your liver sits on top of your stomach.  The less it is in the way the easier the surgery for the surgeon and the patient.  Imagine if your surgeon can get in and out in 1 hour as opposed to 2.  That will impact how well it goes and how well you recover.  2) Pre op diets are to test your resolve and the better you do pre op the better you will do post op.  My surgeon has statistics that says that his patients that go through his pre op plan and stick to it transition much easier to a post op life.  

Imagine how easy it will be to do 2 weeks of liquids post op if you have proven you can do them 2 weeks pre op.  You should have no trouble sailing through your post op. 

So my final advice is to relax.  Don't worry about what is normal.  You are on a path to success and will succeed.  Finally the only other advice I have is to start practicing patience now.  You will need it down the road.  Believe it or not time does fly and before you know it surgery will be happening and you will be on your way to a much healthier you.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

newjourny47
on 4/17/13 4:32 am - ID

thnk u great advice!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 304 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 350 views