Pre-Op Diet - For what it's worth

jpsp30
on 4/16/13 6:17 am - TN

From the "for what its worth department":

If you are struggling through the pre-op diet; I hope this will encourage you...

As I started through my pre-op diet a couple of weeks ago; several things crossed my mind. I mean, telling a fat guy he cannot eat for 2 weeks before taking out 85% of his stomach is downright sadistic. It is like telling a person not to think before you lobotomize them. Or, to not have sex for two weeks before you neuter them! All these comparisons were not good and I was an unhappy camper. But, I made it through and so can you. I cheated (small cheats - but cheats) a couple of times and do not regret doing so.

I think a lot of the mental wrangling done on the pre-op diet was beneficial for this post-op period. So, looking back I am probably better off for having gone through it. Plus, it got me started on my weight loss. In the last 15 days I have lost 34 lbs. 16 pounds of that has been since I got home from surgery on Saturday. However, I had some momentum going into surgery.

Jeff - Located in East Tennessee; Surgery by Dr. Mark Colquitt on 4/12/2013

Highest Weight- 511; Initial Consultation Weight - 474; Surgery Weight 450    

Spencerella
on 4/16/13 6:27 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12
Wise words indeed. Two weeks of liquids is not for the faint of heart when you're pre-op, so I commend you for getting through it.

So glad to welcome you to the post-op portion of your journey! It's definitely easier when we don't have to deal with that gnawing hunger. Our struggles are different, but completely worth it for the results we can experience in such a short time frame.

As was highlighted elsewhere in posts today, I highly recommend buckling down hard for the 6-12 month gift period when most of us experience no or minimal hunger. That gift is precious, and personally, I'm glad I used it wisely to achieve just over 80% EWL in the first 6 months. Don't know how much longer I will experience minimal hunger, but I'm planning to maximize EVERY day of it.

All the best to you, my friend.

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

jpsp30
on 4/16/13 7:26 am - TN

Thanks for commenting and the encouragement to buckle down while time is optimal.

justpete
on 4/16/13 6:56 am
VSG on 04/02/13

very true, the 2 week pre-op plan was a real help in getting my head screwed on right.  Your weight loss since surgery is phenomenal.  16 lbs since surgery - 4 days ago?  wow.

I just had my first weight in, 2 weeks after my surgery on april 2.   i was beyond discouraged with only 8 lbs lost in those 2 weeks post-op.  I had lost 16 in my 2 weeks pre-op ... and that was 50-100% more calories than i'm taking in now.  :(  Of course you are a bit higher up on the scale than i, so i would expect a bit more off you initially, but still.  you are doing really well! kudos

I'm hoping my discrepancy might be due to the different scales used... i'm going to have to find one that can accommodate my weight so i can take that out of the equation. otherwise it's going to drive me nuts know really knowing what is going on!

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

jpsp30
on 4/16/13 7:29 am - TN

Hey thanks for the compliment. I appreciate that. I suspect that for those of us who might be considered "colossals" that the weight will drop a little more drastic in the beginning.

Kelly-AnneH
on 4/16/13 12:59 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
We bought this one: http://www.amazon.ca/Ozeri-Bathroom-Hydration-Recognition-Technology/dp/B003N4AVKE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366167323&sr=8-1&keywords=Scale

My hubby, daughter and I are too close in weight to be able to use some of the features (it recognizes you by your weight and give extra info) but I LOVE the fact that I can weigh myself a dozen times in a row and get the same number - even if I move the scale to a different room.

Kelly-Anne

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

justpete
on 4/16/13 2:21 pm
VSG on 04/02/13

that is a very deluxe scale!  I'm not quite sure how it manages to measure stuff like body fat, hydration, and bone mass by stepping on a scale.  It must be working off some sort of a table with average amounts for people at certain weights.  interesting though.  accuracy and repeatability is a huge plus.

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

kcrowell
on 4/16/13 7:25 am
VSG on 04/23/13

Thanks for this!! 

I had a small cheat today. I tasted a small bite of what I was cooking the family for dinner. I told myself I had to to make sure it was just right. I only had a very small bite. Sure was tasty. :( 

I can't even be with them at the dinner table because its just too depressing. That will all change after surgery when I can actually have broth and things other than these darn shakes. 

jpsp30
on 4/16/13 7:30 am - TN

Yeah, shakes are not the best. But, we will get through it!!!

m1randa55
on 4/16/13 8:31 am - Brantford, Canada

Thanks Jeff! Congrats on your surgery and keep up the good work :)

Bev from Brantford, Ontario, Canada RNY - Feb.27, 2014 @ St. Joe's Hamilton - Diabetes in Remission & Blood Pressure normal now. YAY!

HW - 303 lbs CW(pre op) - 274.5  at 5 months out 202.5 lbs Current weight on Aug.18/14 is 195 lbs May 2015 at goal - 160 pounds

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 46 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 46 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 202 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 286 views