Excess Skin

A. Robinson
on 4/18/13 7:18 am - Columbia, TN
VSG on 04/29/13

Can you share with me some of your stories about excess skin?? My sister had gastric bypass back in 2004 and she had minimal extra skin. She went from 274 to 160. Just curious to what others have experienced.

Sutterbos
on 4/18/13 7:56 am
VSG on 06/21/12

There really isn't one pat answer.  Everyone will have a different experience based on their age, amount of weight lost, how long they were overweight, and genetics.  I've lost 140 pounds and have quite a bit of loose skin.  Does it bug me?  Sure.  Would I trade it for the 140 pounds?  Not a chance.  My journey isn't over.  Some of it might tone up - I'm only 10 months out.  And there is always surgery if I don't like it.  My sister lost 130 pounds after gastric bypass and has a little loose skin.  It doesn't bug her so she's not going to do anything about it.

judyhill1968
on 4/18/13 9:49 am, edited 4/18/13 4:48 pm
VSG on 12/13/12
Starting weight 345 with a big belly....when I saw the Dr today they told me fish oil and vitamin E helps. I did alot of research because I don't want to go thru the surgery to remove the excess skin. I've been taking fish oil and vitamin E for about 2-3 months. At a 79 lb loss, I would expect more droop. I also saw a friend today for the first time since my surgery. He was shocked that I didn't have more sag. The key is to keep your skin hydrated. Lots of water and moisturizing, but only use lotions or oils with vitamin e and shae butter. The scented lotions have stuff that will dry

your skin.

Anyway, just my story and is working!!

hope2013
on 4/18/13 11:12 am - Philadelphia, PA
Are you taking vitamin e in pill form & fish oil pill? I would love to try it! Awesome tip! Thanks
judyhill1968
on 4/18/13 7:22 pm
VSG on 12/13/12
Yes both in pill form.

sleevegirl
on 4/18/13 11:39 am - Austin, TX

223 pounds lost. I have TONS of flaps and hanging skin. I'm 38 and have been obese my entire life.

Genetics and luck have a lot to do with it.

BUT look... I can either deal with the skin or it can be full of fat. So, I deal with it and will likely have plastics at some point.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

sarapilar
on 4/18/13 12:09 pm
VSG on 02/21/13

I have just begun this journey, and for sure will have excess skin, especially the stomach.  I also had two C-sections so I have a big flap of skin already.  I am currently researching the 'best" and the most inexpensive (but good and safe) plastic surgeon around.  I have plastic surgery fantasies!

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 320 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 365 views