post op pain

kcrowell
on 4/24/13 8:54 am
VSG on 04/23/13

I had surgery yesterday. I came back to my room in horrific pain. I got to walking around and it eased a bit. I'm at home now and my back hurts and my stomach hurts. Some people said they felt great after surgery, but I can't get comfortable. Do you think its gas causing this pain? I'm sure the stomach pain is from the actual gastrectomy. I just sent my husband to go but some gas x strips. I hope they help. 

On a side not, liquid Loratab is awful!! Haha

Tnull
on 4/24/13 9:02 am
Steph2013
on 4/24/13 9:06 am - CA
VSG on 04/08/13

I had surgery on April 8th. I was in horrible pain afterward as well. I didn't like the pain medication either as it made me sick. I got a pill crusher and they let me take tylenol as long as I crushed it with my pill crusher. Even with walking a bunch my gas pain lasted about 3 days. I also had stomach pain around the one incision that they pulled the remaining stomach from. My dr said they stretched the muscles. That pain got better every day but lasted about a week and a half. I know plenty who have said recovery was a breeze for them. I was definitely  not one of those people. But I will say that every day has been a ton better. Good Luck!

HW:260 SW: 253 CW: 213.6 

Tnull
on 4/24/13 9:06 am

I hated liquid loratab.  I decided hurting was easier than puking.  Hope you feel better soon!

lucy2e
on 4/24/13 10:08 am - Laurel, MD

If moving around helped - then it is most likely gas pain - and walking is your best method of getting rid of it.  The gasX will help a little, but walking will help more than anything.

Hope you feel better soon!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

AmberK
on 4/24/13 10:25 am
VSG on 03/07/12 with

It's normal! I went into my surgery thinking it would be a breeze WRONG.....I was in such bad pain, I stayed two nights and it was probably over a week before I even got on the computer, so your doing better than me already LOL

It will get better, just give it time! 

VSG 3/07/12     HW:260   SW: 249   CW:164  

(deactivated member)
on 4/24/13 10:38 am

Hope the gas x helps and that you are pain free soon.

HilaryH8103
on 4/24/13 11:07 am - WA
It's gas. Walk, fart & burp away...
Diana E.
on 4/24/13 11:17 am
VSG on 03/27/13

It could be gas.. but I will say.. I was in a lot of pain for 2 weeks... at 3 weeks it was tolerable but annoying.  I am now just shy of 4 weeks and I'm finally feeling good.  For me, it took my main incision to fully heal... and I will say, I don't consider myself to be a wuss when it comes to pain.  I was so thankful to be able to sleep on my side again.  Personally, I think it may have to do with how the surgeon decides to stitch you up.  Mine likes to do an "insurance policy" stitch on the main incision.  For him, that means, 1 stitch site reconnects your abdominal muscles back together, connects that to your abdonminal wall and connects that to your exterior incicion site.  It creates a deep crater in your stomach because it's pulling your skin in taught with the muscles.  There was no right way to move.  No matter what I did, it pulled and tugged on that stitch.  I was quite annoyed and found it sadistic... even though I do adore my surgeon.  LOL!

Hang in there my dear... as much as it annoyed me at the time when everyone said it to me, I'll say it to you... it does get better and it is worth it. :-)

HW- 318    SW- 310    CW- 194.4    GW- 170-ish  Onderland: 10/30/2013

Cindy B.
on 4/24/13 12:35 pm
VSG on 10/22/12

I was one of the lucky ones who had a pretty easy recovery. Let me add to that it was easy only after day 3. The day after surgery was the worst and I was in pain most of the day. I went home on the 3rd day. I've heard from a lot of people that the second day after abdominal surgery is the most painful. The gas pain lasted about a week, but that got better every day too. I made sure to walk as much as possible and that really did help with the pain.

Hang in there. Every day should get better. The back pain can be both from laying on the operating table and from the gas.

Surgery weight 255     GW 140     CW 128

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 313 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views