Need help with controling emotional eating!

NUJoyce
on 4/27/13 7:55 am - Hayward, CA

Hey -- I have been off boards for a while and decided I need to get support so here I am!

I had surgery in October 2011 and lost 80 lbs and was within 50 lbs of goal weight and have now gained 25 lbs.  

I feel so out of control of my own life that I have grabbed on the easiest thing that I can control --- eating.   

I find myself being sad over the fact my hubby and I have grown apart and he is not interested in working on it.  Financially we need to stay together which is why he stays.   

So any help you can give to help curb the emotional eating I would appreciate it.

Joyce

claimmaster
on 4/27/13 8:16 am - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

In addition to seeing a therapist who specializes in eating disorders, I am using the Beck Diet Solution Weight Loss Workbook.  It is cognitive behavioral therapy that gives you tools to use instead of eating.  It's really helping me.

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

sarapilar
on 4/27/13 12:58 pm
VSG on 02/21/13

I have it but have never really read it or worked it...maybe I should - thanks!

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

Ruthie7474
on 4/27/13 8:25 am - SD
First I want to congratulate you for reaching out for help. That is a positive step in the right direction.
I have found through trial and error over the years that there is no amount of food in the whole wide world that will fill the emotional needs that you have right now. Not one food will do this for you. Food is only a means to get nutrition. It cannot hold you, it cannot love you, it cannot so anything other than provide nutrition. What you may want it to do, is to provide perhaps comfort or the ability to numb yourself. As hard as it may be to hear, you have to let yourself feel whatever emotion you are feeling and simply let it be. If you need to cry, do so. If you need to jump up and down and throw a fit like a two year old, have at it. Remember that the feeling is something that will pass. It may be scary but you don't have to be a prisoner running away from or feeding the emotion. I promise if you let yourself feel, the world will not end. Take a breath, find a note pad and write down why you want to eat. Narrow it down to one feeling. And then work through that. One step at a time. --god bless honey. Remember this too will pass.
loverofcats
on 4/27/13 8:54 am

This! Along the way, I have learned to feel my emotions. Not always pretty or comfortable, but it works better than using food to numb one's feelings . It is a challenge.

"          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

happyteacher
on 4/27/13 8:36 am

Start tracking when you are making the poor choices- what happened prior?  This way you can begin to identify specific situations that are making eating difficult.  Then, come up with strategies to either avoid or deal with the specific triggers.  I bet if you start to break it down situation by situation you can develop interventions, and that overall there will be a theme.  My favorite interventions are the three "D's"- Delay, Distract, and Damn, I forgot the third one :)  Exercise for me was powerful- I would always do 30 minutes of exercise before eating and most of the time that worked.  I also cleared the junk food and trigger food out of the house.  Just those 2 things were very powerful for me.  Good luck.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

sarapilar
on 4/27/13 1:00 pm
VSG on 02/21/13

Wanted to say sorry you are going through such a rough time.  I can absolutely relate, I am a major emotional eater and food addict.  I have new a therapist who asked me to journal my feelings...carry the journal in my purse, no one will read it but you...it is important to get your feelings OUT....instead of you eating your feelings...good luck!

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

D.Jae B.
on 4/27/13 2:02 pm

I have no advice, since I am pre-op (still not 100% certain I will do it), but I wish you the best of luck. This is one of my biggest concerns and one of the reasons I have yet to commit to the surgery. I am afraid I will not be able to control myself. Congratulations to you for reaching out and asking for help. Being aware, and asking for help, are so important...no matter what your challenge. Good luck!

NUJoyce
on 4/28/13 2:11 am - Hayward, CA

Thanks everyone.....   Yesterday I ate a little cutie instead of going for something else when I emotionally ate.   That is a huge break thru for me.     I just ordered Beck Diet Solution Weight Loss Workbook on half.com  

Today will be a good day!

After church is normally a red light time for me.   I think today I am going to go for a walk.