OTC vs RX...?

Bella_Fein
on 4/26/13 1:03 am - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

I would like to preface this with that fact that I have an appointment Monday and will get sound medical advise. I am as always just looking for thought, opinions and/or experience.

My insurance requires a step program to get Nexium. I understand that, that's fine. I started with OTC Omeprazole (Prilosec) and was then moved to the RX version which is 40mg vs OTC 20mg. While the OTC was not the best at getting rid of the acid, it seems to work better than the RX version. Is that even possible? They are supposed to be the same thing, one is just stronger. Why would the higher mg work less? Is it possible that my acid is getting worse and maybe the switch of medicine and the effectiveness was just a coincidence? Anyone have this issue?

I am going to give my update to my doctor and see if he will file the request to my insurance. Hopefully they will approve the Nexium.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

MuttLover
on 4/26/13 1:58 am
VSG on 11/14/12

Personal reactions to medications is fascinating to me.  Really.  You just have to go with what works.  

Could be coincidence, or could just be that the OTC works best for you.  Some people find Protonix or other stuff works better.  But with my insurance, Nexium is approved, but it still costs me A LOT more out of pocket, but since it works best for me, I still take it.

If something less expensive works for you, go for it!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

pharmergirl
on 4/26/13 2:23 am
VSG on 04/04/13
A PHARMACIST'S PERSPECTIVE:

PPI drugs need to be absorbed in the intestines. The active drug is broken down by stomach acid. That's why the drugs are either enteric coated tablets or capsules that contain enteric coated beads.
When you took the OTC was it the tablet form? The Rx form us a capsule. The tablet is enteric coated (dissolves in intestines) and the capsule is full of tiny beads that are coated to dissolve in the intestines. Therefore, even though both drugs have the same active ingredient, they are very different. It all comes down to which formulation works best for you. It could be that the capsulated beads are dissolving too quickly (in stomach instead of intestines). Therefore, not making it past the stomach, thereby inactivating the drug. Like I said, the drug is inactivated by stomach acid, and must make it's way to the intestines to get absorbed.

I would try protonix or aciphex next since they are both tablets. Nexium is a capsule with coated beads (like Prilosec/ Omeprazole), so if it's a dissolution problem it will NOT be fixed with Nexium.
Bella_Fein
on 4/26/13 2:37 am - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

You are brilliant! I would kiss you! enlightened

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op