Ideas to de-carb?

BeginsToday
on 5/2/13 11:50 am

Hi All,

I am 6 months post sleeve, and I was doing great for the first four months, followed all, or most, of the rules but lately I am taking in carbs- rice cakes, muffins, popcorn... I do realize that carbs make me more hungry and are triggers for more eating. 

My question- does going on a 2 week liquid diet work to curb the carbs? Any ideas?

Thanks

Birdie55
on 5/2/13 12:25 pm

My surgeon suggested I drink 4 or 5 protein drinks for 3 or 4 days to get back on track.  At 2 years, I had gained 7 pounds and was unhappy with myself.   The protein drinks, water and coffee is all I had for 4 days and I lost 3 pounds.  I then went back to protein, vegetables and a little fruit afterwards.  Skip the grains as much as possible.  

I would never go on a 2 week liquid diet, it would be too hard at this point.  

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

frisco
on 5/2/13 12:31 pm
This is one I may never understand......
Two week liquids, 5 day pouch test..... ?????

Isn't it much easier to just drop the carbs and eat protein based meals???? I'm thinking a piece of chicken and a few veggies is better than the 3rd shake of the day?????

My opinion....

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

justpete
on 5/2/13 12:32 pm
VSG on 04/02/13

remove them all from household and dont buy more.   if you live with others that feel they must have, lock em up.   also have other snacks ready to go as replacement.

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

Spencerella
on 5/2/13 1:36 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

What Frisco said.  I've never understood the notion of going back to fluids. Sounds like a lot of punishment for nothing when you can just go back to dense protein and be fully satiated for the same number of calories and even less carbs.  Wishing you well with your de-carbing. You can so do this!

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

lunarose
on 5/2/13 2:23 pm - Newhall, CA

I agree with Frisco. Whenever the scale starts to climb I up my protein pick out extra dense protein and eat that first in any meal I will also have a cup of soup at the start of a meal. There are certain carbs mostly the refined high caloric carbs that I can eat without feel any restriction so they are my danger foods I do not stay 100% away from them 100% of the time but I try to drink a glass of milk or eat something high in protein to trigger the feeling of restriction which helps me walk away after only a bite or two.

MacMadame
on 5/2/13 5:15 pm - Northern, CA

I just stop eating so many carbs. mail Works for me every time.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

suitebliss
on 5/2/13 9:46 pm - Southfield, MI
VSG on 03/01/12

Just stay away.  I was carbing out myself and I found myself snacking all the time, but lately I've been staying away from carbs and I'm surprised at the fact that protein actually does keep you fuller longer and I don't snack as much.  You can do it!

HW: 350 SW: 332 CW: 198 GW:  167
Pre-Op Loss: -7lbs M1: -23lbs (299) M2: -20 (279) M3: -8 (271) M4: -8 (263) M5: -13 (250) M6: -10 (240) M7: -7 (233) M8: -8 (225) M9: 10 (215) M11: (215) M12: 7 (208) M13:1 (207)M 14(205) M15 (203) M16 (201)

1st short term goal: 290 (done 4/16 @ 288). 2nd short term goal: 275 (done 5/20) 3rd short term goal: 250 (Aug 1) 4th short term goal: 220 (11/30) 5th short term goal 199 (wonderland) (November 2013) NEXT GOAL:  190lbs

datachick
on 5/2/13 10:23 pm - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

No more quick fixes. Didn't work before, won't work now, at least not in the long run. We all need a new strategy, new ways of thinking and acting. And so do you. SO DO YOU. You are not exempt. It's still early, so try a new approach: buck up and quit eating the stuff you aren't supposed to eat. Right now. Today. See what that feels like. Now is the time to grapple with those feelings. Do whatever you have to do to not have poor food choices be around you, ever. I mean FOREVER. Set yourself up for success, whatever that means: removing stuff from the house, showing your food log to someone else regularly, commit with friends to walk in a 5k or a parade this summer and work towards that (it will affect your food choices, believe me), read a book about nutrition, read lots of books about nutrition, watch some documentaries like 'Forks Over Knives' and "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead", exercise, hang out with real alive non-digital people who are on the same path as you are....whatever you have to do. It's only been six months--it's time to build the firm foundation you need for the rest of your life. Juggling quick fixes forever will suck, won't it? Won't it? "Should I do the Pouch Test this month to lose the 5 lbs I gained? Or two weeks of liquids only? Maybe if I stand on my head for 10 minutes a day I will quit craving sugar! Or maybe there's even a quicker fix! Let me go scour the internet for an easier solution other than controlling what I eat and exercising regularly!!".....ugh....isn't that what we all want to get away from?

My gage is that every time I feel that little tightening at the top of my chest which tells me something is bothering me, I feel what that's about and do whatever I have to do to make it stop. It may not be something I fix or change right away, but I work on it, whatever it is. Sometimes it's as small as not grabbing something I shouldn't eat, sometimes it's a bigger thing like changing my head and assessing my thought patterns, where they come from, how they aren't working for me any more and how I have to change them.

This isn't a quick short-term process, it's forever. Once I let myself fall into that, to accept that, all these little daily choices about food have become much easier and more and more not an issue at all. Maybe the first thing you can work on is thinking about how you are ok with not following someone else's plan (your surgeon/nutritionist) even though it is in your best interest (is this typical for you? I know it was for me. Why is that?), then how you feel like crap because your way isn't working for you AGAIN, then how you feel like crap again because you are desperate for a quick fix AGAIN and are flailing about looking for said quick fix even though you know somewhere inside you that it's not the best thing to do, AGAIN, but following the plan is what? Too much work? Too irritating? Too much of a commitment? Too scary? That's for you to answer and deal with. Talk to friends, therapist, whomever you have to, to start sorting it out. Today. Do that TODAY.

Anyhow, I'm not giving you sh%t. Just poking you a little bit, hoping it helps get you on your way.....

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

(deactivated member)
on 5/3/13 1:24 am

What Frisco said.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views