Protien powder and drink suggestions needed, please.

thisisntme
on 5/5/13 3:30 pm

Any recommendations for protein powders and drinks? Any good flavors, brands? Any to avoid? I am getting sleeved on June 4 and I am trying to failure-proof my pantry. Thanks!

~V

HW 278 SW 225 (6/3/12)  CW 211 Dr GW 172 my GW 138

Diana E.
on 5/5/13 3:43 pm
VSG on 03/27/13

I like Unjury Chocolate Splendor, and I'm currently crazy for Matrix Mint Cookie protein powder..... no matter what I use, I always do 1/2 unsweetened almond milk and 1/2 water with a few pumps of sugar free vanilla Torani syrup.  The unsweetened almond milk drastically cuts the calories and carbs vs. milk.

check out this site:

www.worldaccordingtoeggface.com

she's got a whole section dedicated to protein shakes, and she gives her reccomendations as to what brand.  When it comes to Unjury, I order directly from their website... with Matrix, I google and see who currently has it cheapest.

HW- 318    SW- 310    CW- 194.4    GW- 170-ish  Onderland: 10/30/2013

Calking
on 5/5/13 5:05 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

As per my nutritionist here is what you look for in a protein shake

1) 100% Whey Protein Isolate (this is broken down and used by our bodies the fastest of all the protein shakes out there ... Don't get fooled into Whey Protein Concentrates or Blends they don't get absorbed as quickly and some will pass through and not be used)

2) 5 grams or less of fat

3) 5 grams or less of carbs

4) About 24 grams of protein per serving

So any brands that you find that meet those requirements are very good.  About Time is my favorite as it is all natural with only 4 ingredients ... 100% Whey Protein Isolate, Stevia, Natural Flavors, Xanthan Gum (a thickener)   The About Time canister has about 28 servings which is not much more than $1 per day.

http://www.gnc.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=about%20time &origkw=About+Time&f=Taxonomy/GNC/13200328&sr=1

If you buy now from GNC you automatically get a Gold Card Membership Card which gets you up to 50% discounts all year long.  A one year membership typically goes for $15.  

On another note I wouldn't mix these with water but would highly suggest unsweetened vanilla almond milk if you don't want to use a 1% or skim milk.  The About Time with the Almond Milk would be lactose free.  Some people develop lactose intolerance post op.  Keep this in mind if you are especially gassy post op.

A little less expensive is Body Fortress 100% Whey Protein Isolate for $22 at Walmart.  Be careful as there is another version at Walmart that sells for about $15 and says Whey Protein (without the word Isolate and therefore is inferior and not what you want.  Also not every Walmart carries it .. if you live in an area with more than one Walmart you may need to call around.  Actually if only one is nearby then you can go to the store and they have a deal where you can purchase the item online and it will be shipped free to store where you may pick it up.  

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Advanced-Vanilla-Creme-Whey- Isolate/14654077

I normally would write at least several more paragraphs of thoughts but I am on pain meds for a knee issue and am feeling quite loopy.  

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

ParisGirl
on 5/5/13 11:30 pm
VSG on 04/25/13
Congrats! I'm 11 days post-op and these are the proteins I'm using:

Isopure Zero Carb RTD (Alpine Punch is my fave)
Premiere Protein RTD (Chocolate)
Pure Protein RTD (Chocolate & Cookies 'n Cream)
Syntrax Double Stuffed Cookie powder (w/ unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk-YUM)
Syntrax Chocolate Truffle powder ( see above - YUM )
Unjury Chicken Soup powder (nice change from the sweet stuff - salty! I mix with 1% small curd cottage cheese -YUM)
Unjury Unflavored powder (actually haven't opened this one yet...)

Hope this helps!!!!

Nancybefree
on 5/5/13 11:53 pm
VSG on 11/21/12

I started out with Bariatric Advantage Chocolate protein powder, but soon grew to despise it  I have two unopened gigantic pouches of it sitting on my kitchen counter that I'm going to freecycle or something.

To escape the BA Chocolate I alternated that with  Unjury Chicken Soup protein drinks.  I still have the Chicken Soup occasionally in order to use up the container.

My go-to now is Unjury Chocolate Splendor protein powder.  I also like the Syntrax Matrix Mint Cookie protein powder now, having sampled it after reading so many positive reviews of it here on the board.

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

Nancybefree
on 5/5/13 11:54 pm
VSG on 11/21/12

Ah, I forgot to mention adding Unjury unflavored protein powder to cottage cheese and things like that occasionally.

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

ChurchRat
on 5/6/13 12:50 am - TX
VSG on 10/01/12

BIg fan of the IsoPure products. I just bought a bunch from my local 24HR Fitness. They had it on sale for around $37 per tub. I have Banana, Mango Peach (not my favorite) Chocolate, Vanilla and Strawberry. They mix well, aren't horrible tasting and have a great quality of protein vs carbs.

I have been making some Protein ice cream from them. Here is one recipe:

Banana Walnut Ice Cream

1.5 cups unsweet almond milk

2 oz SF Torani Cocoanut syrup

2 scoops Isopure Banana Protein powder

tsp real vanilla

6 walnut halves chopped

Blend until double in volume (high speed)

Put in ice cream maker.

Totals on this are around 300 cals for the lot, but over 50 grams of protein from the powder alone, very low carb and satisfying. If you portion it out into multiple servings and freeze them, you can get under 100 cal per serving. If you freeze it, microve for 15 seconds and it will soften up for eating. I will sometimes freeze some and then spend my time eating what is left in the ice cream maker. This takes a long time as it is frozen to the sides and all over the paddles. Very satisfying when you are craving something delicious. Introduce the walnuts after the mixture is thickening and almost done. I use a Cuisinart Ice Cream maker. There is not a lot of fat in this blend, so the mixture can harden to almost solid ice. That is why it is important to blend on high to introduce some air to the mixture, so it will be softer. The little bit of microwaving will soften it to where you can break it with a spoon. Quite decadent!

HW:345 SW:335 HT:6'2" CW:208 M1-25 M2-15 M3-12 M4-13 M5-8 M6-9 M7-13 M8-10 M9-7 M10-7 M11- 8 M12- 0 so far

Kelly-AnneH
on 5/6/13 1:15 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
With summer coming, (in theory) would this also work in homemade popcicles? I don't have an ice cream maker, but the idea of high protein, low calorie popcicles is intriguing. I think I'll try making a batch later today. Thanks for the idea!

Hmm... Chocolate PB with extra PB2 added...

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

ChurchRat
on 5/6/13 4:24 am - TX
VSG on 10/01/12

Sometimes I add a little SF pudding for flavor and consistency. About 1/4th of pouch. 25 calories. I used to put this mix in an ice cube tray and make little protein drops.

HW:345 SW:335 HT:6'2" CW:208 M1-25 M2-15 M3-12 M4-13 M5-8 M6-9 M7-13 M8-10 M9-7 M10-7 M11- 8 M12- 0 so far

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 64 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 247 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views